GPS @ Hout Bay

More
15 years 8 months ago #2429 by John Sanderson
Hi Rob

Great footage of reverse Millers and Hout Bay.

Are you using a Garmin Forerunner 305? I notice it was'nt contained in a waterproof bag, have you taken any measures to enhance its supposed waterproof abilities? What other features of the 305 do you use.

Cheers
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #2430 by [email protected]
Hi John
I've found the 305 reasonably robust. I broke one by dropping it onto concrete (duh!) but apart from that, they've been a lot more robust than the 301.

I'm also using the 405 at the moment (and will be posting a review shortly). The 405 is a cool gadget but it has a touch sensitive bezel (like the ipod) that does not work well with wet fingers. For that reason (and the larger screen of the 305) I'd recommend the 405 for runners/multi sporters but the 305 for paddling.

I have been sent some pics of a 305 where the rubber buttons appear to have rotted but I've never seen this on a unit here in SA.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 8 months ago #2431 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re:GPS @ Hout Bay
Hi Rob

That was quick.

Good to hear that the 305 is as waterproof as the manufacturers say they are - cause I just bought one but have yet to recieve.

Cheers
John

More
15 years 8 months ago #2447 by ace3871
Replied by ace3871 on topic Re:GPS @ Hout Bay
G'day Johnsa
i had a 305 edge for six months and it stopped working. i emailed garmin about the problems that i had, after a few emails garmin would not cover my 305 under warranty due to that i was using it in salt water?? so much the for there waterproof specs???. so just be careful and tape up the the recharing outlet on your 305
Cheers Adrian

More
15 years 8 months ago #2451 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:GPS @ Hout Bay
I had corrosion issues with my garmin 301. Warranty was 1 year... My unit stopped working after 1 year and 2 months. Garmin replaced it with a brand new unit, even if warranty was over, no questions asked...

More
15 years 8 months ago #2453 by John Sanderson
Replied by John Sanderson on topic Re:GPS @ Hout Bay
Hi Guys

I've used my new Garmin Forerunner 305 a few times now without any issues. In fact it's great.

It has introduced a whole new angle to ski paddling as I am using it coupled with a training program from Ferg and Alan at Fergs Kayaks here in Auckland. My general goal is to train without the overall tiredness I always seem to experiance with specific race/time goals starting in about four months time.

My training program is a mixture of distance and speed work but always within a certain heart beat range.

I can already feel the benefit with increased stamina without the tiredness I have felt in the past.

I have set up the 305 to show beats per minute, distance, speed and max speed. The unit is attached to my footstrap and is great and easy to use. Hopefully it's waterproof ability holds out although I have taken the precaution of taping over the charging contacts

Cheers
John

Latest Forum Topics