Broken paddle shaft

More
14 years 1 month ago #4271 by Boof Head
My paddle came off second best when it was run over by a car recently. the blades are good.
Was wondering if paddle makers rolled their own shafts or purchased lengths of CF tube from a suplier?
Does anybody know of a supplier of suitable carbon fibre tube in south East Queensland? I've been googling but haven't found any yet.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4272 by YBA/Jim Murray
If you only want one, a local (in your country) paddle maker or agent is probably your best bet for a shaft. You may want to have an OD measurement before shopping.
Jim

More
14 years 4 weeks ago #4353 by Joersa
Replied by Joersa on topic Re: Broken paddle shaft
I know here in the USA the Brasca guys use a heat sensitive glue to bond blade and shaft, they use a heat gun, melt the glue and pull out or push in a new shaft, they make custom lengths at most major events(kayak events) it would take them 5 minutes to swap out your shafts, not sure how your blades are bonded, check first

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4413 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Broken paddle shaft
Do you have the skills to re-asemble it yourself ? I would use epoxy glue over hot-glue in SE Qld , Hot glue may be OK for now but it won't like the summer here. I only think EXEL make round tube here(brisbane) not double ovals, or centre adjusters if thats what you want. Performance paddles on the Sunshine coast or Stealth paddles on the Gold Coast are the people that should be able to set you right.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #4415 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:Broken paddle shaft
got the skills Lats. I built wooden sea kayaks before I discovered surfskis. I even briefly thought about making a timber shaft so that it would match a timber surfski that i have designed. The paddle is a very well used Stealth that I use in the Brissie river and just chuck in the back of my ute, so in the end I had the broken CF shaft replaced with a fibreglass shaft at Roscos in bris. Thanks for reply and heads up about Exel.
Cheers

Latest Forum Topics