Which PFD

More
12 years 8 months ago #7794 by Shady
Which PFD was created by Shady
Hi all,

Just looking for advice on which PFD to purchase.

Although most of if not all of my paddling is within 100m of the shore quite a few events now require them to be used. I've always trained with a PFD and its quite "different" on the odd occasion I dont have one on.

Just about all of my paddling will be in the 1-2 hours bracket in the harbour but I would like to try some of this downwind stuff.

The one major consideration is that I have entered into this years Hawkesbury Classic and hence there is a need for more storage pockets.

I've beend looking through many websites and there isnt too much information on the best PFD for ocean ski's. There's a buckload of info for touring kayaks and the like.

I've been looking at an Ultra Trek PFD which has a pocket on the back for a bladder and a few expandable pockets for food and bits and pieces.

www.ultrapfd.com.au/default.asp?PageID=63

These are priced at $185 at my usual shop but I have found them cheaper around the net.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ultra range of PFD's? I'd hate to but one and then find out it's the most uncomfortable thing to wear, especially if I'm going to be wearing it for the better part of 15 hours.

Cheers

Epic V10 Sport Performance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7798 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re: Which PFD
I have an Ultra Trek II PFD as well as a Mocke Racer PFD. They are both great PFD's and both have their pluses and minuses.
First, the Mocke: The great thing about the Mocke is that its incredibly light, molds to your body quite well, is quite breathable and cool, and doesn't feel at all restrictive. I really don't notice that I'm wearing it. It feels like it was made with paddling in mind first, which of course is the case. The downside to the Mocke is that the front pocket is large and can't be completely closed. It has a nice rear bladder pocket but I find that carrying any more than a liter on my back becomes cumbersome, so I just put larger amounts on my ski. Also, the bladder tends to move around in the pocket some and the pocket doesn't close completely.
Second, the Ultra: The Ultra has lots of nice individual pockets on the front of it that are very secure. It has a nice fit to it and is relatively comfortable. It also has a nice bladder pocket on the back that is very secure and keeps the bladder from moving around. Also the routing for the bladder tube is nice and secure. The finish of the PFD is nice and it seems more durable than the Mocke. The downside to the Ultra is that, compared to the Mocke, its more restrictive and thus less comfortable. It is also much less breathable than the Mocke and in hot weather it becomes uncomfortable. I like wearing it in the colder months but when it's warmer out, I always grab the Mocke.
In the end both are nice PFDs, it just depends on what's most important to you. For me, living in a warm climate, the Mocke is my first choice.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7799 by candela
Replied by candela on topic Re: Which PFD
I bought the Ultra PDF2 recently for a local race which required a PDF. I’d never used one before and the first time I put it on was at the start line. I was a little worried about heat and movement. To be 100% honest I didn’t even really notice it while paddling (10km Race, midday in winter on the Gold Coast AU).

More
12 years 8 months ago #7809 by kiwial
Replied by kiwial on topic Re: Which PFD
Heyya Shady, I use the Think PFD. Hands down the most comfortable PFD I have ever used, it has a leash attachment point but no bladder pocket.I personaly prefer not to have drink in my PFD as the extra weight annoys me (probably more psychological than anything to be honest) I put 3L of water on my ski and that covers me for any paddle I have ever done

More
12 years 8 months ago #7823 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Which PFD
Thanks for the feedback.

Without any harsh remarks about the Ultra Trek I went and bought ond this morning and the went for a 3hr paddle with.

I've spent quite a bit of time on enduro dirt bike and I've always had a camel back on with plenty of water, tools and spares so a weighted pack is not foreign to me but putting a bladder full of water in a PFD took a little getting used to. I decided not to drink from it as I wanted to spend the entire 3 hours with it full so I can deal with any balance issue (non existant on a dirtbike). After paddling for 10 minutes I didnt notice it at all and after the 3 hours I didnt think there was any issues with it at all.

Thanks again

Epic V10 Sport Performance

Latest Forum Topics