Replacement rudder for Epic V10 Sport

More
12 years 7 months ago #8060 by kiwial
The new Epic rudders we have, have a slightly smaller shaft diameter than previous years. not enough to worry about but probably accounts for what you are feeling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8064 by Kocho
Probably not enough to cause issues, but certainly enough to "worry about". At least I do... I don't like things to wobble about if they do not have to.

I can't see a good reason for it to wobble so much other than sourcing and matching of parts. And don't believe there is a technical reason such as intentionally creating a big clearance to avoid seizures, etc. - but who knows... In my case the clearance is enough to accept a full wrapping of a soda can layer, so it is not that little...

More
12 years 7 months ago #8069 by vatis
Thanks Epic! But should the rudder have more resistance, to provide more stability in a crosswind, for example? If so, what's the best way to add more resistance (so it takes a little more push of my toe) to it?

More
12 years 7 months ago #8071 by Dicko
The last thing you want is a rudder with resistance. Everything should move freely.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8077 by nell
Vatis, I don't think you can increase the resistance of the surf rudder very easily -( I suspect you are talking about the surf rudder). As was written above, it turns with very light pedal pressure because it's balanced 50/50, or 40/60 or something. You need to "unbalance" it more so that you feel resistance to pushing on the pedal and I think the only way to do that is to either bend the blade backwards relative to the shaft (and then sand it to fit) or to use a small cutting tool to move the shaft forwards in the blade. Both are very possible to do but take a bit of commitment and the chance that you'll ruin it. Or, you could get the middle size universal rudder which works very well, or get a nonbalanced rudder from an independent rudder maker. Erik

More
12 years 7 months ago #8078 by Rightarmbad
Or simply do my self centering mod that I linked earlier.....

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics