Stellar SR or Epic V10 Sport (older model)

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12372 by drjay9051
Never expected this to be such a tough choice! Explained in prior post I'm a fairly new paddler. Sea Kayak want a ski. 5ft 11" bout 260 pd size 12 feet 44 in waist.

I was between Stellar SR and older Epic V10 sport (red stripe on seam) with the wider seat.

Have had some nice email conversations with among others Wesley Echols. I was so ready to pull the trigger on the Stellar SR. I would have to order a boat and pray it fit me. No local boats to sit in much less paddle. I contacted Russell at my local Stellar dealer gave him my info he in turn contacted Dave at Stellar. Dave believes the S18s would be a better fit for me. SR may be too tight. However "Fat Paddler" fit an SR and he was at the time larger than I as i understand it. I don't want the S18S . To me it's a topless 18 foot sea kayak.

Now in the mix is the older V10 Sport. It is $1,000 more than the SR as it is the Ultra layup. Not local I'd have to have it shipped. Add a couple of hundred more.

Odd, I'm in Florida surrounded by water and cannot find a selection of skis to try.

Local dealer does have the Epic V8 which i will paddle tomorrow! I could be in a boat tomorrow afternoon, my own!! Have read good things but thinking V10Sport may satisfy me longer.

If i feel comfortable in the V8 do i go for the Epic? Heard great things about SR but now concerned about fit after hearing from Dave at Stellar.

Yes, i have heard Stellar is a better boat in terms of foot braces etc. Hey if epic was not up to par they would not still be around. i have no loyalty as to brand at this point.

Thanks.

Sorry for being so long winded .
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by drjay9051. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12375 by Dicko
Both good boats. SR would be more stable than the V10 sport. Similar speed. Shouldn't have any problems fitting in the SR. My mate big Al fits in one, so you should. The international standard measurement for surf ski is metric, ie 208 paddle, so you need to get with the programme. The trouble is that the rest of the world don't know whether to be impressed or concerned when you say your weight is 260 lb. If the Stellar is $1000 cheaper I would go with it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12378 by leoridge
Agree, have paddled both and SR has much more primary stability,but don't do anything until you have paddled the V8 it's awesome wrt stability/speed and confidence in just about any conditions.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12379 by AR_convert
Agree with Dicko, both good boats. Cut my teeth on the older V10 sport, with hip pads to take up the slack. Paddled an SR last year and was very impressed. From what you have said I would go with the SR, have seen a few local big lads really improve in them. Not a fan of the V8 for someone who really wants to get stuck in to ski paddling, the owners I know y to upgrade quite quickly.were ready to upgrade quite quickly.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #12381 by Rightarmbad
I don't think paddling a V8 will will really give you any idea about a V10 sport.
Different bucket and a totally different feel as a V8 is a true beginner boat, the sport is just a bit detuned from a V10 and still has impressive open water speed.

I actually find the V8 wobbly, as the very wide hull always rocks with the water surface.
The sport lets a lot more just slide underneath.

The sport also has an acceptable catch and you will learn to paddle better and can keep the boat for a few years and still get something out of it, everybody and I mean everybody grows out of a V8 quite quickly.

What about an SLS ski?
One with a lower seat to learn, burly strong and less likely to suffer damage in the surf zone.
Usually heaps of them around second hand.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12383 by FalllGuy
I agree 100% that the wide arse of the V8 has it lifting, turning and wiggling about on chop, MUCH more than the Sport.

But I do feel that the cockpits of the V8 and my new V10 Sport Z model, feel very similar "paddle position wise". For me personally that familiarity made the transition from a V8, to a Z cockpit Sport,a much easier one.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by FalllGuy.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12384 by drjay9051
Here is an update:

I was able to find a V10 Sport 2 hours from me. they also had a V8. So i sit in the V10Sport and it is tight. Not at the top of the bucket but lower down sort of where your thigh bone meets your pelvis (about 5-6 cm below top of hip)

It was a bit too snug actually pinched a bit. Footwell a bit tight as well.

So i sat in the V8 just as tight.

I wasnt sure about how a ski should fit so the salesman was nice enough to get the local Epic rep on the phone (on a weekend, that is service!!).

The rep explained i should have NO pinching. He also told me that the new V10Sport can be had with the wider bucket like in the older V10sport. he is going to check on availability Monday morning. After looking at dimensions there is no way i can fit in an SR!! Also mentioned the bucket in the V10 is same as V8 and V12.

Hopefully can V10 sport with the wider bucket

I don't have a big ass (arse) just wide ass hips. it is tough to find me a ski. I think only other option is the Stellar S18S but I'm not liking that ski. Wonder if the V8 can be had with the wider bucket??

More
11 years 9 months ago #12385 by Kayaker Greg
With one of those stable skis it might be worth trying a 10mm-20mm pad in the seat to see if it lifts you to the point you don't get pinching, this is what I did on my early model SES which has a very tight bucket, next model they widened it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12386 by drjay9051

Kayaker Greg wrote: With one of those stable skis it might be worth trying a 10mm-20mm pad in the seat to see if it lifts you to the point you don't get pinching, this is what I did on my early model SES which has a very tight bucket, next model they widened it.

good thought. If they cannot find the wider bucket I'll give that a go.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12402 by mckengmsurfski
If you liked the V10 Sport otherwise you should just wait until you can find a used one of the older models with the wider bucket (pre 2009 I think?). They come up fairly regularly for sale and are usually a pretty good value. I would recommend networking within the surfski community on the East Coast via meetup groups, races, etc... and you may find someone looking to upgrade.