Optimum paddlers weight for Fenn Spark?

More
8 years 8 months ago #24655 by marcusiam
Hi all!

I am in need of some advice: I have searched the net but I cannot find information on what the optimum load weight for the Fenn Spark is, anyone who knows?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24658 by [email protected]
From the horse's mouth (in the form of Travis Smith!):

Ideally:
  • Less than 80kg
  • Shorter than 6ft

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by [email protected].

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 7 months ago #24739 by photofr
I owned a Spark and put in about 2000 km on it. During that time, I have lent it for demos to quite a few people. It's a really fun boat with many assets. Here's what you need to watch out for:
1. Before weight, hip width: people with wide hips will not fit into the bucket.
2. Paddler weight: it's advertised at 80 kg and under. I have found paddler weighing 73 kilos not enjoying it as much as they should.
3. For very light paddler (57 kilos), the boat is too long and you loose quite a bit of speed on dead flat conditions.

If you are at the limit, I highly recommend testing it out in bigger conditions, but don't just take my words for it: you may really like the ski.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

More
8 years 7 months ago #24740 by Kayaker Greg
As stated above, be sure you can fit with your hip width, I really wanted to give one of these a go and at only 72kg found my hips were about 5mm to wide, enough so that the seat was going to be uncomfortable and effect rotation, very disappointed at the time.

Latest Forum Topics