Think Six v Epic V9

More
3 years 9 months ago #36775 by Vman
Think Six v Epic V9 was created by Vman
Interested in any experiences and thoughts of the new Think Six and V9 as I’m in process of deciding which as I move up from a v8 Ultra. 
I’m 1.94m and 85kg.
I paddled the new to Sydney Six today in harbour and was impressed with stability, comfort and snug fit. I’ll predominately use it offshore. 
I’ve had brief paddle of v9 inshore and found it familiar, stable and moved easily. I will try both offshore before making a decision. 
many thoughts welcomed. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36801 by Stefanus
Replied by Stefanus on topic Think Six v Epic V9
I've been paddling the V8 Pro for a couple of years and have just moved to the V9. Really like it.
I haven't paddled the Six but saw it for the first time the other day, looks like a nice ski.

More
3 years 9 months ago #36802 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Think Six v Epic V9
I also have been paddling a v8pro for the past couple of years. Looking to advance to the next level. Did you find the v9 a big enough improvement over the v8pro?

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #36805 by Stefanus
Replied by Stefanus on topic Think Six v Epic V9
I have have only paddled the V9 a few times so my views are preliminary. I find it to be more nimble and quicker to react. Also nicer on the runners. Not sure about overall speed as I'm not a fast paddler but in theory it should be faster as well. The cockpit is 1 cm narrower which suits me as I have a slim build. It is also of course a bit less stable but still pretty solid.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Stefanus.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37448 by Vman
Replied by Vman on topic Think Six v Epic V9
After tests of the Nordic  Squall 580, Epic  V9 and Think 6 I  ordered an Elite construction Think 6, a couple of months ago and expect it anytime.
IIt a very subjective thing as they’re all very good boats, all beautifully finished, in end found its initial and secondary stability was going to give me broader range of use, the bucket was really comfortable and a closer fit For my build and easily accelerated onto runners. 
The the wait without a boat as my old V8 was stolen earlier in the year  is killing me

More
3 years 4 months ago #37619 by Bitemekaos
Replied by Bitemekaos on topic Think Six v Epic V9
I have owned a Think Ion for the last couple of years and love it but struggled with it in bigger messier conditions. I took a punt and brought a Ex demo Think Six without testing it and couldn't be happier. In conditions that I struggled in I now have no drama's with it feels like everything has slowed down and become very predictable if that makes sense. I think if you feel comfortable in any of the newer intermediate ski's you will have fun, I chose the Six because of the comfort and the familiarity of paddling the Ion and have no drama jumping between both ski's. 

More
3 years 4 months ago #37620 by Vman
Replied by Vman on topic Think Six v Epic V9
Thanks, I’m about to drive over to collect my Six after a 4 month wait for it, can’t wait to get out in the water 

More
2 years 6 months ago #39032 by Salty Frog
Replied by Salty Frog on topic Think Six v Epic V9
Really surprised that this topic didn't get more attention/interest.

Both the Think Six & the Epic V9 got me pretty excited. Thought that the world would have been alight with information.

I think that I might be in the market for one or the other when lockdown is over unless I find I need a reality check & really only suit a beginner ski.

I'll be trying before I buy but for those of us that are currently confined to being armchair warriors, anyone else got any observations about either of the two boats, or even better, direct comparisons to each other, pros & cons?

I was getting hints re the Think Six being relatively flat bottomed which some people seem to like & some don't. I have no idea if it is really true or how the Six or V9 handle the bumps for the average punter.

I think Mark Sundin from Expedition Kayaks gets the odd chill down is spine from me overwatching his Youtube videos on these 2 skis too much. ;-)

Any info appreciated, even if it is just tips on what to look for when I finally get to test them.

More
2 years 6 months ago #39067 by Salty Frog
Some thoughts on Epic V9 in the forum for those who are looking:  www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/20244-ep...st-paddle.html#39066

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #39159 by Salty Frog
Finally got to try these two skis after lockdown ended.

I am a total noob having just done some paddling in an first generation V10 Sport in flat water before so that's the perspective I have.

I caught my first wave on my test paddle. Thanks to Mark Sundin from Expedition kayaks for getting me out there & showing me the ropes.

For me, the V9 was far easier to catch waves on. Didn't manage to catch any on the Six even with Mark's instruction. When things got messy, the V9 seemed far easier for me to handle. Paradoxically, when it was relatively calm, I felt more stable on the Six. Go figure.

Mark was saying that some people feel more stable on the V9, some on the Six.

I guess you need to get out there & test them to see which is best for you. I am going to get a V9 but long waiting time here in Sydney. Plenty of other people on the waiting list to buy one.

I'm still a bit surprised that there isn't more online buzz about these skis. I really liked both of them.

Going by the length of the waiting list for the V9, maybe everyone is spending their time buying & paddling skis rather than just talking about them online!
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Salty Frog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas, al

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #39163 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Think Six v Epic V9
Hey Salty Frog. Your perception of the Six's stability isn't paradoxical. I haven't paddled the Six but from what I can tell it has a very boxy crossection and a flat hull under the cockpit. This gives such boats a lot of primary stability and relatively low secondary stability. These characteristics make the boat sit very flat on the surface of the water. This is fine on calm or gently moving water. It is also great when paddling perpendicular to clean, evenly spaced waves (they can surf brilliantly but they tend to slap when paddling into the waves). However, when you start dealing with waves coming at you beam on; it is a different story. Unless the paddler actively resists it: the flat bottomed hull will tend to follow the angle of the wave face until your centre of gravity is moved outboard of the centre of balance at which point you will capsize unless you brace. The low secondary stability inherent in most of these designs means that all of this can happen quite quickly. Some people adapt to such skis. I'm not a fan. It's the reason I got rid of my (otherwise very nice) Think Zen.
The V9 has a large radius curve under the mid section of the hull so it would not demonstrate the same stability profile. Having said that; this ski still has more primary stability and less secondary stability than more round hulled skis that are (roughly) in the same category. Having paddled a V9 extensively; I think Epic have a sensational ski in the V9. It may not quite be my cup of tea but it was close. However, I'm a very fussy bastard.
Neither the Six or the V9 is better or worse. They're just different.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Atlas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

More
2 years 5 months ago #39164 by Salty Frog
Thanks for the insight Atlas.

I was going purely by feel without any real knowledge about the design.

The Think Six was  good looking & seemed like a more "serious" boat but the V9 was just more natural for me.

Like Mark was saying to me "Which one did you just start paddling & catch waves with straight away?" 

I reckon I'll be really happy with it when they finally come in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

More
2 years 5 months ago #39171 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Think Six v Epic V9
So i have a number of "intermediate" skis in my garage, all excellent skis that include the Six that I have paddled for 2 years now, 550L 2G wwr that I have over 60 miles on and an SCS coming, Stellar SR 2g excel that I have paddled off and on for years, Evo 3G Ultimate, Stellar Falcon excel, and a Zen that I don't put in this class, and an 560L 2G, and Uno.

I have paddled the V9. While I agree with Atlas in describing the design, my Six for my small bay conditions where I live and have ocean too, (see my review) is a great performing ski that I have raced in all conditions for 2 years with a 5inch, 6inch, 7inch, and while not used a 8-inch which are all  DKs rudders.  Primary is great due to flat bottom but I find its speed to stability ratio is excellent, one of the best of any ski that I have reviewed.  It is more performance-oriented than the V9. For me personally, the bucket fits me great adding to my pleasure. So for me it a more of an all-around ski than the V9. I can optimized it with the rudders and still be competitive with my racing peers and as I was this weekend. 

The V9, with a narrower bucket, low gunwales, rocker, I can see why many paddlers like it. It reminded me of a "playboat" to take out in bigger conditions, downwind, and have lots of fun. Some guys I race against can get it cranked up on flat water too, shocking most of us how fast John was in his V9 elite at a flatwater race here in New England. So I liked it. 

So very different designed skis. So I would try the Six if you can. It will surprise you how good of a ski it is.  My goal is racing, while I am older now and slower and have moved to the intermediate skis for most ocean races, I enjoy my Six.  I wish I had an ultimate layup in the Six.  I enjoy my Zen too with even more of a flat bottom that does feel different in bigger conditions just like the 540L has its own feel. All these skis are very good now unlike a few years ago where the differences were greater.  

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog, kvort, Atlas

More
2 years 5 months ago #39172 by Salty Frog
Thanks Wesley, I definitely saw what you meant in smaller chop. The Six seemed to firm up & was easy to paddle even for a newby like me.

The Six was a great looking boat, seemed like it was well constructed. I reckon that I could have grown to like it if I had bought one but for a beginner like me, the V9 seemed much more intuitive in the waves.

Mark from Expedition Kayaks was saying that it was 50/50 with how people feel re the stability of the V9 vs the Six so your advice re testing them sounds like the go.

Secretly, I was rooting for the Six & wanted to like it best, it just didn't work out that way on the day.

If I work out that I am not so much a fan of the designs that include a flat bottom, are there any Think designs that you would suggest that I try if I ever get to the point where I am looking at boats that are a step up?

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #39173 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Think Six v Epic V9
Hey Salty Frog.
Surprisingly enough; the Think Evo is completely different in character to the Six in that it has a round hull. As such it has low primary stability but excellent secondary stability. It is obviously a step up in performance compared to the other skis we are talking about. Some paddlers don't like the lack of primary stability. It is a great example of why you can't categorise skis just by their length and width. I've only paddled one briefly. I liked it but at the time I was looking to buy a more stable ski. Wesly will be able to elaborate on this because he has extensively paddled the Evo in every generation, every layup and in every type of weather and water condition. No-one knows the Evo better than Wesly.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Atlas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salty Frog

More
9 months 1 week ago #40514 by Garymason
Replied by Garymason on topic Think Six v Epic V9
I have an epic V8 pro and recently bought a v9. I found them to have the same speed but the v9 was a little twitchier because of its width but I did not like the rocker as I am a flat water fitness paddler. Therefore I immediately sold it. I do want to try the Think 6. For just a bit more speed if anybody thinks that's the case. Thanks Gary.

More
9 months 1 week ago #40522 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Think Six v Epic V9
Garymason - i have not paddled the boats in question enough to comment on the flatwater speeds. But here is my take on your question. If the v9 stability was not acceptable, then you are probably looking to stick to your existing class of skis rather than move to the next slimmer class. Personally I think that the speed differences between boats within the same class is pretty small, especially if you are moving under 7 mph. At high speeds small differences in hull speed become more apparent, but most of us do not travel at those speeds. Within a class of similar width boats, I think ergonomics and comfort can have a bigger impact on speed than the small theoretical differences in hull speed. That is especially true if you have back, shoulder, sit bone, hamstring issues etc that affect your paddling. So a beginner/intermediate ski like the six or v9 that is faster for someone else might not be faster for you if you do not agree with the bucket as well. Just something to consider. Good luck finding the next ski!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics