Paddler Weight, V10 or V10L

More
14 years 10 months ago #3318 by dolphin
Just wondering what the thought is regarding paddler weight (kg) for the V10L, before needing to move to a V10. I understand that it is not so important for flat water use, but how about the ocean swell?
Alternatively, do people pick the V10L due to a height issue, not so much to do with weight?
I paddle from Sydney's Northern beaches, so am wanting good ocean performance.
I am 178cms, and 86kg. (Hoping to be closer to 80kg when buying the boat!)
Very interested to hear of other peoples choices/experiences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3320 by AndrewN
With your weight you could use either - it depends on the sea conditions in which you will be paddling. I am about 72-75 kg and found the V10L very wet in big conditions. while the drainage isn't bad, going into big swell there is always a bit of water in the cockpit.

Admittedly I haven't paddled a V10 but I suppose it would be drier.

If you are paddling in small seas mainly it may be better to go V10L but otherwise V10.

Cheers

More
14 years 10 months ago #3321 by AdamV10L
You should have no trouble with the V10L. I started paddling mine at 84kg and am now down to 76kg but i did not notice any difference to the way the ski paddled at different body weights.

It is more the height than the weight that is an issue and I believe what the L was designed for. At 173cm my previous V10 had me sitting too far back and falling off the back of the waves more often.

The cockpit being 2 inches further forward on the V10L makes the ski a lot better at picking up and staying on the runs.It also helps with your catch being further forward.

I paddle south of Sydney in Wollongong and have not found any issue with the nose burying in rough conditions, although I do agree with Andrew in that it is a slightly wetter ski.

Another bonus with the L is the lower volume nose is less affected in cross winds, where the standard V10 would get the nose blown off track paddling into chop with a cross wind.

I personally found the differences made the V10L a faster flat water and rough water ski for me.

Hope this helps.

Adam

More
14 years 10 months ago #3322 by BenH
Replied by BenH on topic Re:Paddler Weight, V10 or V10L
V10.

I know a few guys are on the V10L and brought them due to their weight (80-90kgs). In big seas they always say how wet the ride is and how a bigger boat would feel more appropriate.

2 of them owned V10's prior to the V10L and there timetrial times were faster on the V10??

I would recommend the V10 as an allrounder. Great boat in all conditions. Besides even if we say we're going to shed the 6kgs, we all know it'll be back come winter.

P.S. I live on the Northern Beaches for about 8 months of the year and I dont see as many V10L's as you'd think.

I have eveen heard it refered to as "the chick's boat".

Ben

More
14 years 10 months ago #3324 by AdamV10L
Have you read the test on the V10L done by Dale Lippstreu posted back in 2006? Its a great review and sums the boat up pretty well.

Dale asks the question should you buy one over the V10. He pretty much sums it up yes, unless you weigh more than 94kg (Dales weight at the time)or paddle big down wind all the time.

84kg wont be an issue. Check the Epic website for the weight the boat can carry. Well over 100kg.

BenH, call it a chicks boat if you like but it is faster for shorter and or lighter paddlers if their stability is up to it as it is slightly twitchier than the V10.

Adam

More
14 years 10 months ago #3325 by [email protected]

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
14 years 10 months ago #3326 by westo
Dolphin, why limit yourslef to epic products? I'm 85kgs, 176, and paddled an epic v10L plenty of times on days up to 2metres. the v10L takes in plenty of water and takes forever to drain. I also paddled a v10 and it is drier in the footwells but it gets pushed around by the wind a lot more. after paddling slsa spec skis, i never liked the feel of the epic but, the Huki s1x feels much faster in the flat, heading into chop and with any type of swell - also a dry boat that drains well. If you must use epic, get the v10L - better for your size.

www.propertyscience.com.au
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
14 years 10 months ago #3327 by dolphin
Many Thanks to all who have responded. I have found the comments very helpful, also read the review on the V10L from your link Rob.
Seems I only have two new questions.

1. What is the positive buoyancy like in the V10L (don't want to sink offshore)
2. How does the V10L compare with the Fenn Mako Elite! (More research and perhaps a new thread)

More
14 years 10 months ago #3329 by dolphin
Westo, I have not ever considered a huki. Not that I have anything against them, I have never seen one on the water around where I paddle (Sydney, Northern Beaches). I am trying to keep my options open as of late. (Fenn Elite, Epic V10/L, DD3 XLR8, Think Uno)

Latest Forum Topics