The Learn to Surf Ski & Ocean Kayak Course
- 3 hour course held on a Sunday, 9am to 12 noon
- Held at our Training & Hire Centre at 37 Jetty Road, Sandringham
- Combination of on and off-water sessions
Limited dates scheduled but you can take the course by Private Tuition (personalised tuition for just you or you and a friend) or get your own group of 4 to 6 together and we will schedule a class for you - midweek or some weekends possible. Email us if you would like to organise a private class.
- Surf Ski design
- Choosing the right Surf Ski
- Choosing the right paddle and accessories
- Correct seating position
- Efficient forward paddling techniques
- Efficient methods of steering your surf ski
- Avoiding capsize, low support strokes
- Self rescues
- Launching and landing
- Appropriate clothing
- Weather interpretation - effects of tides and wind
6 Reasons to Enrol
- Become a faster and more efficient paddler. Good instruction means you can gain skills in a day that would take a lot longer to gain on your own.
- Fun, fun, fun. Good skills means you can have more fun on the water.
- Increase your confidence with the ability to competently paddle and self rescue.
- Start with good habits and avoid having to get rid of bad habits later on.
- Learning to paddle within a group is a supportive and fun environment in which to learn.
- Some stuff is just to hard to learn from books - we believe in “learning by doing”.
Outcomes & Results
- How to choose the right surf ski and paddle
- Understanding surf ski design and performance
- Fundamental strokes and efficient technique
- Defensive paddling skills
- Self rescues and recoveries
- Effects of tide and wind
- Basic navigation principles
- Planning & preparation