EOS 660 green 7

• gnome
  • Visitor
11 years 3 months ago #15134 by gnome
EOS 660 green 7 was created by gnome
Any opinions on the EOS 660? are they considered a fast ski? Compared to the green7 on flat water. In glass and is the supposed 15kg true
Gnome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15135 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: EOS 660 green 7
I know of a couple of guys who've had or currently own a Green 7, where are you Dicko, Mav?

A couple of years ago some locals were raving about the EOS 660 but then they went quiet on it and I haven't seen any around so would be interested to know too.

I take it you've read this www.surfski.info/reviews/item/1119-surfs...-review-eos-660.html

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #15151 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: EOS 660 green 7
If I had any spare money I'd buy a red 7 pro/ green 7 tomorrow just to paddle on classic downwind days, when the water is warm and there wasn't too much chop. It would be like owning a classic car. The 660 never impressed.
I've paddled with the same guys, 4 days a week for the last 6-7 years and everytime someone buys a new ski, you can tell how it travels by his position in the group. I had a mate who went from a v12 ultra to a green 7 and was faster in everything other than dead calm days.
Had a mate bought a 660 and always struggled to keep up. They're not a bad ski, just not as good as a red/green 7. I think they are similar shape, but with more rocker, which means they can turn. The downside is they lose speed on the flat.
The red 7 is probably not the fastest/best ski on the market, but I will argue that there aren't many skis that feel as good to sit in. Such a narrow catch and so stable for such a narrow ski.
I've heard a whisper that there is a guy in WA that has a carbon red 7 and a green 7 in his shed that he may be willing to part with. If I had the money I would love a shot at either.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15185 by [email protected]

I take it you've read this www.surfski.info/reviews/item/1119-surfs...-review-eos-660.html

For what it's worth, my buddy Dale (who features in that review) did buy a carbon EOS 660 but found it much more tippy than the glass version and sold it again quite quickly. Kayak Centre (the manufacturers of the EOS) have I think ceased production of the skis.

I loved my original glass/cork composite Green7, but struggled to paddle the carbon Red7. At one point we had two skis: a very light glass Red7 and a "heavy" carbon Red7. They were identical in everything (including weight) - just the layup was different. Both Dale and I found the glass version comfortable to paddle but found the much more rigid carbon one much more tippy. It was a striking demonstration of how stiffness can add to the tippiness of a ski.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 3 months ago #15208 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: EOS 660 green 7
Kayak Centre are manufacturing Think skis in SA. Not sure if they are still making their own skis though.

www.kayakcentre.co.za/thinkmax.html

More
11 years 2 months ago #15215 by [email protected]

Kayak Centre are manufacturing Think skis in SA. Not sure if they are still making their own skis though.

Things change fast here... Their website is out of date. I called them and they said that they are building only their own boats, mostly Zeplins.

They were considering making the Think boats, but although they built a couple (I paddled the first - heavy, 20kg - Evo II) they decided against it. (Word on the street is that the guy who was driving ski manufacturer is now focussed on their paddle business.)

Rumour has it that Carbonology Sport is making Think boats here now, and further rumour has it that the first light hybrid Evo II is due to come down here in the next couple of weeks. If so, I can't wait to try it, I paddled a 12kg Evo II in Hong Kong in rough water and loved it. (Paddled the heavy one here a couple of times, loved it downwind, but on rough, choppy water I battled to get it to go. I'm blaming the weight!)

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 2 months ago #15216 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: EOS 660 green 7
Such a shame you didn't get some downwind in HK to try the 12 kg Evo II in those conditions. Would have loved to hear your comparison of it and the 20kg demo.

More
11 years 2 months ago #15217 by [email protected]

Stew wrote: Such a shame you didn't get some downwind in HK to try the 12 kg Evo II in those conditions. Would have loved to hear your comparison of it and the 20kg demo.

Hmm... Well on race day in those tiny bumps that started about 1/3 of the way to the Kissing Whales, the light boat was really picking up the runs and I was overtaking people, which always makes me happy!

And I did a couple of paddles out to the Kissing Whales from Stanley in the days leading up to the race, so I got to try it in the hectic rebound conditions near the Whales and in the runs coming back along the cliffs... it was great. But you can't really tell how you're doing unless you're paddling with a regular marker - for example whenever I do a paddle with my buddy Dale Lippstreu, it always turns into a race... and that's great for comparing boats.

Anyway - hopefully there will be a few of our Tuesday night races left by the time we get the Carbonology boat so I can get a better idea of how I do in the boat.

Rob

Latest Forum Topics