Proper use of rudder

• patrickswitz
  • Visitor
12 years 2 months ago #10021 by patrickswitz
Proper use of rudder was created by patrickswitz
In response to Rob's observation on previous thread about minimizing rudder input: Rob I'm just going to lay out my master theory of boat control, feel free to input or call B.S:

When paddling in the ocean there are powerful forces that contribute to loss of control, and relatively weak forces that we can use to counteract them. Good paddlers do things to minimize the "Bad Forces", and less skilled paddlers tend to focus on maximizing the relatively weak "good forces" (especially the rudder). So let's investigate these various forces...

Bad Force #1: Entropy makes the boat go sideways. Wind and chop always are are trying to align the ski so it is broadside to the direction of energy, a fact made obvious when we stop paddling and immediately round up into the wind. You can minimize this force by presenting the smallest target possible by running directly with the flow of energy during times when you are most vulnerable. In other words, if you're going slow, point it straight. The stronger the wind/ steeper the waves = you need more speed to safely deviate from the straight line.

BF#2: Heavy nose = light tail. When the nose of the ski gets squeezed, like when you surf to the bottom of a run and bury, it is slowed down and locked into place laterally, which makes the tail of the ski unweight and break free. Essentially, BF #2 allows BF #1 to have its dirty way with you... To counteract BF 2, always keep some space free in front of the nose. Stay high on the wave. The only time the nose should be going under is when you're punching through smaller chop whilst connecting larger swell.

Good force #1 = Rudder. The rudder can transform speed into lateral force on the tail of the ski. That's it. If the Bad Forces are pressing harder on your tail than the rudder is, you broach. So the faster you go, the harder the rudder can push. It's not a free lunch, however. If you're using the rudder to turn speed into tail force, you're scrubbing speed. The rudder really should only be used when you need to change directions, not when you're trying to prevent a change in direction.

GF #2 Hull asymmetry. If you tilt the ski right (drop your right hip) the nose will turn left, and vice versa. Works better the faster you go.

GF #3 Steering strokes. Easier to turn the nose when going slow. Easier to turn the tail via paddle drag when going fast.

Your rudder is a limited tool, sort of like a sailboat rudder. It only works well when the boat is balanced in the first place. The elite guys never think about the rudder because it's such a small part of the equation.

So what do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #10025 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Proper use of rudder
Mostly BS. A good rudder requires minimal adjustments to change direction, a bad rudder requires overuse to make it work. Good paddlers are no different to an old fart like me. They don't possess mystical skills etc, etc. They are fitter, stronger, braver and spend more time in the boat.That stuff about leaning right to go left works beautifully on flat water but is a load of BS in waves.If you want to go in a straight line in small to moderate conditions a shark fin rudder is fast. (ie racing). If you want more control and to surf more across waves an eliptical rudder is better....not faster... better. Elite paddlers still use their rudders to turn, all the other stuff is overcomplicating a simple procedure.

More
12 years 2 months ago #10027 by [email protected]
I agree with Dicko.

I think the Elites are just that bit less likely to make a mistake (ie wallow with not enough speed, thereby making it more likely to broach) so they perhaps don't need the help the better rudders give.

As I said in the other thread, the elliptical rudders help to a greater or lesser extent depending on the boat - I found my Mako6 back in the day was horribly prone to broaching until I put the rudder on. My Mako Elite is not - but I still enjoy the manoeuvrability the rudder gives - especially at speed, when going down the face of a wave.

The V10 Sport is another ski that benefits from the surf rudder, going downwind.

Some other skis seem to broach whatever the rudder. No names, no packdrill.

Here in Cape Town we usually ride short steep wind swells, and that too is a factor. I don't think they have the same circumstances as often in Durban for example.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 2 months ago #10034 by Rightarmbad
Interestingly enough, I find that as my skills improve, that things that happen to the back of the boat don't really effect me, it's more the front of the boat being pushed sideways that will present problems for me.

I find that the rudder keeps the rear solid, waves and swirling water hitting the front from the side present the most problems.

The main problem being if the ski is hit hard when the paddle is totally out of the water(especially if the paddle has just exited and it is at it's maximum time away from being back in the water) and turns the boat at the same time as the body wants to continue straight on but the boat is now turning, therefore effectively tipping me outwards in a corner without a paddle to lean on.

If this happens at the top of the wave when the rudder may come out, all the worse.

I don't find any problem when the nose buries apart from a inability to go faster.

I used to think that the rear end would step out, but in reality it is the front, if the rear steps out, your body will fall into the hole but the boat will come back underneath you, when the front shifts, your body again falls into the hole but the boat is going away from you, so unless you can get a paddle in for support, your swimming.

I think stability comes from a powerful stroke, not a rudder and if you are using a lot of rudder, you are doing it wrong.
Body english anchored in a solid hook up with the paddle will keep you in control.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 2 months ago #10078 by Dale Lippstreu
I think Patrick is spot on. When I first started paddling downwind my primary focus was on avoiding broaches. As I improved I was able to shift my efforts to linking runs even if this required tracking across the swell. The difference has come from achieving and maintaining boat speed which maximises good forces (the force of the rudder is increased) and minimises the bad forces (the effect of the wave force from behind reduces as the boat speed reaches the wave speed). This is why a good paddler is not particularly fussed about the effectiveness of the rudder. It not about mystical skills: it just the forces at work as explained by Patrick.
I also disagree that leaning does not work in rough conditions. I find that it is incredibly effective in big downwind conditions and use it all the time. If I find the ski is not responding fast enough to rudder input the problem can nearly always be solved by leaning the ski over and in fact I find that I only lose steering control when I am unable to lean the ski because I am temporarily unbalanced.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10453 by JonathanC
Replied by JonathanC on topic Re: Proper use of rudder

robin.mousley wrote:
The V10 Sport is another ski that benefits from the surf rudder, going downwind.

Could you please help with details for a good surf rudder for the V10 Sport. I'm in Australia but would be happy to have it shipped from SA. I'm light 68kg and use the boat in close chop in the Bay in Melbourne.

Thanks.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10468 by [email protected]
Hi Jonathan. The surf rudder is standard on the V10 and V12 so your Epic agent should have a supply of them. They fit the V10 Sport perfectly.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonathanC

Latest Forum Topics