Paddling in Hawaii

More
6 years 2 months ago #30847 by kwolfe
Paddling in Hawaii was created by kwolfe
So I'm getting married soon and as luck would have it (thanks to a lot of unspent airline miles), my wife and I are looking to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon.

The first thing I mentioned was "you know I have to paddle when I'm there.......like every day for a few hours". She's a great woman and know how much I love it so she just smiled and said "of course".

Does anyone here know of places I could rent a surfski (or OC1) and good places to paddle? We aren't really set on any particular island.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30848 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Paddling in Hawaii
Third attempt at a reply here Rob. Very frustrating.
kwolfe try Surfski Kauai. Unable to post url or longer post.
Login times out.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30849 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Paddling in Hawaii
Your wife must be wonderful to allow you to paddle on your honeymoon. My wife doesn't like me doing it once a week in our neighboring lake. She thinks when you're not working at your job you should be working around the house.
Wish I could help you with Hawaiin advice.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 2 months ago #30851 by PSwitzer
Replied by PSwitzer on topic Paddling in Hawaii
I'm on Oahu where there is good paddling and ample boats for hire. All the other islands have excellent downwind paddles but not sure about getting ahold of boats on Big isle or Molokai. If you come to Oahu, and don't have a vehicle with racks, get a place within walking distance of outrigger club then call Zsolt to line up a ski. You can then do out-and-backs up the coast around diamond head, or catch a ride with locals/ call denise who runs ocean playground shuttle that picks up at Kaimana and drops off at Hawaii Kai for an hour long downwind (or 45 minutes if you're fast and it's cranking)

-Patrick Switzer pastronaut at hotmail dot com

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #30862 by Fath2o
Thought I'd try again. Several years ago was vacationing with family on SW side of Kauai. Asked some locals finishing downwind run about access to a surfski. There response was interesting. They asked where I was from and I responded Southern California. They pretty much rolled their eyes and blew me off. By the way, I have surfed 20' plus waves and held my own on the north shore of Kauai with some of the most famous surfers in the world. Oh well.
Anyway, finally discovered Dylan Thomas at Surfski Kauai. After
a very welcoming conversation on the phone, I met up with him
at Anini beach on the north shore. After a brief introduction and swipe of the visa card with an iphone, ~ $115.00. He presented me with a beautiful new Steller SE. He made sure I was comfortable and foot pedals were adjusted and we were off! A nine mile downwind, absolutely fantastic. 1:15 still recovering from a pretty serious shoulder injury. Did I mentioned the rental includes a shuttle service.
Dylan is a great guy and an elite paddler and Kauai is arguably the most beautiful of the islands.
Have a great trip.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Fath2o.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30864 by Fath2o
Geez, got so caught up in my own story I forgot to say "congratulations"! Your fiance sounds great.
My wife and I spent our honeymoon, almost 33 years ago, in Hawaii and at a water front hotel in Princeville, Kauai. She still tolerates my surfing and paddling activities (and, reluctantly, all the injuries that accompany them).

More
6 years 2 months ago #30865 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Paddling in Hawaii
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes folks. Yes, my fiance is an amazing woman. This is round two for both of us and I can say that getting married in your forties and way easier and better than in your twenties. You both know exactly who you are and there is no bullshit. Just people who like being together. She also knew going into it that I'm a water rat. The only reason I'm not paddling now is because the damn water is frozen.

As luck would have it, we might not be going to Hawaii after all. The finances and logistics might just not work out. We are looking at the Dominican and Caribbean now as well. I guess if I can t find a surfski or OC1, every place has SUP rentals. Not my first choice but paddling is paddling.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30866 by Fath2o
Oh, there you go again reigniting another great memory of my future wife and I traveling across the US in a 1965 Comet with a surfboard and snow skis on the roof and driving down Daytona beach on our way to the Caribbean; blah blah blah!
Have fun!

More
6 years 2 months ago #30867 by davgdavg
Replied by davgdavg on topic Paddling in Hawaii
I'm on Kauai, would be happy to help/paddle if you make it out here.

Dylan (Surfski Kauai) is still around, though I'm not sure what he has around to rent these days.

Hotels have gotten ridiculously expensive in the last 5 years...I guess with so many places appearing sketchy, more people play it safe in Hawaii. Its seriously crazy, but anyhow, good luck!

More
6 years 1 week ago #31292 by PJAW
Replied by PJAW on topic Paddling in Hawaii
Just read these post. I'm in Oahu in May. Waikiki 23-28/05 and Turtle Bay 28-01/06. Hoping to hook up some downwind surfski and SUP. Which companies/people are the best to hit up? From what i can see:
- downwind sup - wet feet or blueplanet
- surf ski - hire from epic (can't find anything else) and do Hawaii Kai run using Denise on the ocean playground shuttle

Advice/help appreciated.

Phil.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31293 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic Paddling in Hawaii
You can also rent outriggers, surfskis and SUPs from Foti Brothers. 808 524-6677

More
6 years 1 week ago #31294 by downwinda
Replied by downwinda on topic Paddling in Hawaii
I forgot to add that that's the week of the Molokai to Oahu race, so a lot of the available surfskis may already be rented out.

More
6 years 1 week ago #31301 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Paddling in Hawaii
Well as luck would have it, I think it's going to be Punta Cana now (insert sad face here). We are taking a week off for our honeymoon and I think the commute from the east coast all the way out is going to be too much for 7 days. If we go for 10 that would be different. Thanks guys.

FYI, if anyone know anyplace in the Dominican that has skis that would be great.

Latest Forum Topics