Best Place for a Garmin

More
12 years 1 month ago #10742 by AGA
Best Place for a Garmin was created by AGA
Where's the best place for a Garmin?

On my V10 I could strap it to the bungees on the bulkhead at the front of the cockpit, while in the SES I have to strap it onto the footstrap as there is no line of sight to the bulkhead.

The risk with the footstrap is the potential to dislodge the Garmin when removing or inserting your feet.

There don't seem to be too many other options.

I'd also love Garmin to come up with bigger text/screen sizes, as trying to read the small print on a unit positioned 3 feet in front of your eyes while paddling on moving water is never the easiest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10743 by Kayaker Greg
I mount mine on my bungys in front of the pedals in my SES, I can read it ok but your eyes might no be as good. Are you very short not to have line of sight?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10744 by AGA
Replied by AGA on topic Re: Best Place for a Garmin
Mid-height. You may be a bit taller, or perhaps your Garmin model may sit a touch higher.

Either way your eyes are definitely better.

I have to admit I do wear glasses, but not when paddling... except for the occasional times when I've got into the middle of the harbour only to discover I've forgotten to remove them. The threat of seeing $1,000 of frames and lenses sinking is one of the better techniques to achieve immaculate balance.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10749 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Best Place for a Garmin
I just pop mine on my foot strap. Nice and simple.

(Photo won't attach)

More
12 years 1 month ago #10752 by [email protected]
Also put it on the footstrap. I have a small section of rubber piping, cut through on one side that I slide over the footstrap that gives the Garmin strap something to tighten onto. I'll take a pic.

I've been paddling a Genius ski lately that has dual footstraps - my Garmin strapping technique doesn't work so well on this, because the Garmin impacts the top of my right foot. I could put the Garmin on the bungies on the front of the cockpit but that doesn't work well because I need to be able to press the lap button... Haven't come up with a good solution yet.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago #10753 by [email protected]

(Photo won't attach)

Send it to me rob at surfski.info and I'll pop it up.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago #10759 by mckengmsurfski
Mine goes on the footstrap as well. I have a piece of pipe insulation that I attached to the strap with duct tape on which I mount my Garmin. The Garmin can be tightened down on it so that I won't become dislodged. Works great.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10769 by AGA
Replied by AGA on topic Re: Best Place for a Garmin
With useful places for Garmins (and leashes and car keys) required by just about every paddler, and all of us using makeshift solutions, it sounds like there's some logical ski enhancements that can be made by manufacturers.

In line with the other forum topic running on Design, it would be good to see the manufacturers present functional solutions for this.

I'm not sure how many paddlers need to adjust their Garmin when on the water. I switch mine on as I hit the water and only switch off on return, so positioning on either the bulkhead or around the feet works for me so long as I can see it.

But if others need it within reach during paddling, positioning near the feet or closer would be necessary.

Don't know if mounting one on the side of the cockpit would work, or even strapping it to your leg near the knee is a possibility.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10771 by arminius
I have an XT310 Garmin which I put on a velcro watch strap (the type surfers used to wear before PU watch straps)and that holds very well when wrapped around the foot strap. I have tried keeping the GPS on my wrist but the movement of my arm during the paddle stroke definitely affects the accuracy of the GPS.

Another perfect day in paradise. A bit of sun, a bit of rain and it's not even lunch time.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10779 by Rightarmbad
Foot strap is the usual method I think.
Reachable, visible and out of harms way.

What I want to know, is what do people that require glasses for normal vision distances do?
Sunglasses for me are good until the first drop of salt water hits them, it must suck big time to have to wear glasses when on the ocean.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 1 month ago #10782 by [email protected]

What I want to know, is what do people that require glasses for normal vision distances do?

Live with the spray/salt. Wearing a cap helps to keep some of the spray off. I don't usually find it much of a problem.

Much worse is in winter when there's no wind, my glasses fog up. If I use anti-fogger liquid, any water drops that hit the lenses tend to smear.

On occasion I've actually taken my glasses off which is less than ideal.

People ask me why I don't wear contacts - I tried years ago, couldn't get used to them, but in any case I think I'd be worried about losing them if I came off - and there's nothing worse than having one in, one out.

Rob

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10790 by ilcentaurorosso
It depends. If you have an hand model like forerunner series the best solution comes from Didier (dplouepic.skyrock.com/). He has just an Epic V10 (and an Epic V10 Sport and use the same solution for both boats).

I use my edge 800 within aquapac bag secured to elastic front lines.

Here is other ideas.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by ilcentaurorosso.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10797 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Best Place for a Garmin
I put it around the foots trap also.
I wedge a bit of sponge in there to give it something to grab hold of and keep it facing me. Works a treat and stayed in place for the 14hr over the hawkesbury classic

Epic V10 Sport Performance

Latest Forum Topics