2012 Mauritius Ocean Classic Vids

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12272 by thebigadski
Here is some footage from this years race in Mauritius.....

And unfortunately this next one:

is the best one from the Tuesday before the race but due to media storage issues on my iPad its quality is poor - Sorry!!
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by thebigadski. Reason: Still no images???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12275 by Rightarmbad
Nice waves.

Quick question, how far back from the front of the boat is the camera mounted and what camera settings?
And another, do you use the stick on mounts or have you epoxied or something else the mounts to the deck?

And one more.......

I bet you will contemplate practicing a jump start for the future........

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 9 months ago #12276 by thebigadski
Yep the start caught most off guard, we were all standing around chatting!! - Many a bent rudder off the beach was had!

The Contour Roam is mounted with a normal RAM suction mount (suction plate removed) and zip-tied onto the handle on the bow of the UNO max :)

From memory I think the Roam was set at:
Full HD 1080 @ 125deg view (dropping it down to 720 increases the field to 170deg - or tall 960 is 125deg too I think)

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #12279 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic Re: 2012 Mauritius Ocean Classic Vids
Adam, thanks for the inspiring video of my homeland and that LeMorne where i spent a good part of my childhood. I's a surfski paddler from Sydney and have contemplated doing this race but have been a bit daunted by the size of the swell, the wave at the leMorne Pass. It is on my bucket list of things to do for sure. I went for a paddle with my mate Dominic while visiting 2 years ago and yeah, what a nice man, he is the pioneer of surfsking in Mauritius!I also used to won a Uno Max, fastest ski I ever paddled but had trouble staying on it offshore, I guess it is not for the mid packers like me... the other paddlers around you seem to be still as you pass them, I guess that with your garmin off, you would not know what was your average speed during the race? what was your peak speed during the downwind? I now paddle a Vajda and am comfortable in the rough and rarely fall off now. Great video to learn about leg drive. Take care and hopefully paddle with you in Mauritius one day. did you try the Phoenix and Stag beer or a Green Island cocktail :woohoo: ?!

More
11 years 9 months ago #12286 by mckengmsurfski
Great videos Adam, thanks!
Would love to hear the details of how you managed to get your ski over there...

More
11 years 9 months ago #12289 by thebigadski
Hi Guys

Yes Mauritius was a great place to visit and we all had an awesome time. The amount of effort Dominic, Anton and their teams have put into this event is something pretty special.

Regarding average speeds:
After my balls-up I started my Garmin on or around the 10km mark, and averaged 12 for the last half. At the start I remember looking down & seeing 14's before I realized my boat was full of water & opened my venturi!!

I'm the West Aus agent for Think and thanks to Daryl Remmler (Think Kayak) I was able to organize my UNO max direct from the factory.

Had a few Phoenix & Blue Marlins as well, & one rather sweet reggae looking cocktail as well!!

Stats of the last 10+ kms as follows:

Attachments:

More
11 years 9 months ago #12295 by mckengmsurfski
Very cool Adam. Definitely high up on my surfski to-do list, which seems to be getting pretty long these days thanks to some great races around the world.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12305 by antonsa
Hi Adam

Thanks for participating in the MOC - it was great to have you and Think on board. Your vids are great for both Think and us! We (Dominic, Albert and I) look forward to you and your mates joining us in 2013.

The success of the event is due to the fantastic bunch of paddlers that join us each year. You guys make our job easy and a pleasure (yes we actually do this for fun - not financial reward - crazy hey!)

Can't wait for 2013

Anton - Race Director

Latest Forum Topics