Leg Extention

More
11 years 9 months ago #12396 by TheGoose
Leg Extention was created by TheGoose
Hello fellow paddlers, I trust that this finds you all well.

I thank those who have helped with my previous post re "Sore Hip Flexors".

The second part of my question was that I am unable to extend my legs as suggested durring the "Forward Stroke".

With a "Fist" clearance under my knees, I am unable to extend my legs, whilst making the forward stroke.

The reason being that I am already at the back of the seat, and when I press with my Heels, the foot plate makes strange "Creaking" noises, but not much "Leg Extension".

I find too that if I try to Rotate to allow "Slight" leg extention, I lose stability, and the result is the same, I land up in the water.

Having watched several video's here, I am not sure what I need to do to get this right.

Any suggestions and comments appreciated.

I thank you all

Raymond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12407 by Physio
Replied by Physio on topic Re: Leg Extention
I personally concentrated on being able to rotate as much as i could without loosing bal before considering a leg drive, not sure if this is the most efficient way to learn, i still have a poor leg drive and still getting shouted at to rotate more by coach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGoose

More
11 years 8 months ago #12414 by lost john
Replied by lost john on topic Re: Leg Extention
Hey Mr. TheGoose,
I had a similar problem with leg drive causing instability. The problem was I was weighting/pressuring the foot next to the front drive blade too soon. I needed to wait for the blade to be fully buried before starting leg drive on the foot next to it.

My coach gave me this drill:
1. in flat water and the boat standing still, set up your stroke with both hands in the air, and body fully rotated, ready to stab the catch.
2. Now just stab the blade in to start the stroke, but don't pull at all. Just leave the blade fully buried for half a second, frozen in the water, with your bottom arm fully straight. Don't start rotating or doing anything else.
3. Pull the blade back out, reversing the stab so you're back in the same side setup position again, exactly like when you started. So you're ready to stab on that same side again.
5. Do this five times, then switch sides, and do the other side the same way.

What this drill showed me was how my leg drive timing was off, and how to correct it. I still make the same mistakes sometimes, but now I can recognize when and what I'm doing wrong.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg, TheGoose

More
11 years 8 months ago #12427 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Leg Extention
How about simply moving your legs forward a notch so that when one leg is extended it touches down on the hump?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 8 months ago #12439 by TheGoose
Replied by TheGoose on topic Re: Leg Extention
Hello I thank you all for the advice.

I tried moving the foot plate one notch further forward, and found that Stability suffered, I was still at back of seat and it felt like I was leaning backwards whilst paddling.

I am not sure if one is supposed to sit with your bum up against the back of the seat, or if one should move the foot plate further forward as suggested, and instead of just straightening the legs, move forward in the seat.

With my current set up, I can "Press" with my heals, but can't get the legs straight, to do so would land up with a busted foot plate to be sure, since it already creaks and groans...lol

Some great excersises here from John that I am looking forward to trying the next time I get to be on the water.

Any help and advice will be appreciated and I thank you all for your input thus far.

Take care

Raymond.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12445 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Leg Extention
In most surf skis, you will never get your legs straight.
Especially the Fenns with their quite high humps.

In my V10, I do sit a little up the back of the seat, as this allows my pelvis to tip forward a little and allows my pelvis to roll down the hill, as it were, as I extend each leg in turn.
Makes it feel as though the seat is a bit higher and stops the hunched back syndrome.

In the V12, I just sort of sit wherever the bucket likes me to sit as it has a slightly different profile that feels like it is higher with the pelvis rotated forward anyways.

It sounds as though stability is the issue at the moment and you won't get effective leg drive until you have come to terms with trusting the boat, that's why you are craving solid contact with the bucket.

I actually polish my bucket to allow me to slide as I rotate, I certainly wouldn't have done this when I first started.

When your stability comes along, then start worrying about leg drive.

I suggest you shorten your paddle so as to get as much support from it as possible until your balance improves.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 8 months ago #12446 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Leg Extention
Your legs should never be straight....just less bent. If you concentrate on getting your paddle into the water cleanly you will naturally rotate and your legs will follow suit. Leg drive is more a result of good rotation in the torso. The classic knee up and down really just shows how much rotation and twist you are getting in your seat. Your legs just support this motion. Actually I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just find if I concentate on getting a clean paddle entry everything seems to fall into place.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12585 by TheGoose
Replied by TheGoose on topic Re: Leg Extention
Hello I trust that this finds you all well.

This morning I found a nice piece of Flat Water in the lee of the shore and tried Johns excercise as posted earlier here.

With the Ski still in the water I made Five "Catch" placements without thinking of my legs at all.

Having done this on one side I reversed it as suggested and although the Ski was "Wobbling" found that I was getting "Slight" pressure on my heels without thiking about it.

Anyway, I went for a paddle and there were times I am sure I got it right, but once I realised it..nearly fell out...lol

My question is with this excercise, does one make an aggressive "Stab" or does one simply place the Paddle in the Catch postion whilst rotating fully?

I thank you all for your help thus far and wish you all well.

Take care

Raymond.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12599 by lost john
Replied by lost john on topic Re: Leg Extention

TheGoose wrote: My question is with this excercise, does one make an aggressive "Stab" or does one simply place the Paddle in the Catch postion whilst rotating fully?

Raymond,

Just enter the blade normally, as for a real stroke - just moving your arms, drop the blade in. Your rotation is positioned for the stroke, but leave your hips and shoulders angled in setup for the entry. Don't rotate as you execute the catch/retract sequence on that side (five times).

Oh and you should paddle with some K1 people ... you won't learn very much from me!
Cheers,
John

More
11 years 8 months ago #12601 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Leg Extention
One thing that is often overlooked with leg drive is to pull back with the opposite foot on the foot strap. If you have your foot strap adjusted properly you should feel quite stable.

Another drill is to drop your paddle at the end of your usual session and just practise the paddle technique and leg drive without the paddle to improve your balance. Your core will be knackered after 5 minutes :)

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics