How to Replace Rudder Box

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #18012 by Beanboy
Have an older V10 Sport, and the rudder cover to the threaded rudder box on the boat never fit right. In addition, cracks are forming and there's a small hole in the rudder box itself.

Epic sent me a new cover along with the top of the rudder box (not sure on terminology here).

Since the rudder box is epoxied into the boat, not sure about how to approach removing the old one and having a correctly sized and placed hole to put the replacement in.

Figure pilot hole well to the inside of the lip, and slowly work with a jig saw? Finish with a sander?

If I were to pay somebody to do this, what would be the going rate US for something like this?

Thanks!
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Beanboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #18015 by Simon Haywood
Beanboy - perhaps you refer to what I would call the rudder cap assembly?

I've done a couple of these on Epics - Currently refurbishing a V10 and replacing the rudder cap assembly - they go brittle with exposure to UV.

A relatively simple procedure - CAREFULLY remove/scrape/grind/sand away old outer from the boat clean area thoroughly (Acetone). I use 'Sika 291' adhesive/sealant to install the new cap assembly (be sure to have the cap screwed into outer for this) it will hold its roundness/shape - also take note to line it up correctly...when dry job done!

There is about 30-40min labour and about AUS$20.00 in materials - hope this helps.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Simon Haywood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beanboy

More
10 years 8 months ago #18016 by Beanboy
Replied by Beanboy on topic How to Replace Rudder Box
Rudder cap assembly it is! Thanks for the replacement description! I think I'll give it a shot in the off-season.

More
10 years 8 months ago #18017 by Simon Haywood
No worries Beanboy - if you get stuck - just sing out...

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

Latest Forum Topics