Surfski transport in Europe

More
8 years 7 months ago #24668 by merijnwijnen
I am in the process of acquiring a surf ski. As I plan to take it on holidays to other European countries (Germany, UK, France, Greece), I am a bit worried about the length on the roof. Our little campervan is 4.78 m in length. A country like Germany does not allow extension at the front, and a maximum of 1.5 m at the rear. This limits my options to 6.28 m surfskis.
What are real-life experiences with transport of skis in Europe? How do Germans transport their skis? Getting stopped by the police during a holiday is not my idea of a relaxed vacation.

Regards,

Merijn

Seakayak, flatwater racing and a surfski on order.
Looking for other ski paddlers in South East Netherlands (Maas / Waal)

Surfski: Nelo 560 on order :-)
K1:Kirton Tor
Sea kayak: NDK Explorer HV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #24670 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Surfski transport in Europe
O.K. I don't know horse dung about anything to do with Europe. But,
I did tow a large boat on a trailer that was 36cm wider than legally allowed in California and Arizona, no permits, for 25 years. No one ever said dog doo about it. Let's hope!!! that law enforcement officials have more important things to do!
I imagine that if the law enforcement is corrupt your going to have to pay a bribe no matter how long your surfski is. Just seems to be the way things are in some parts of the world!?
Other than that, there are plenty of great surskis under 6.28 meters.
Good luck, and besides having a little extra money in your pocket, have a great vacation! :)
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Fath2o.

More
8 years 7 months ago #24671 by Flowmaster
France and Spain no problems , (so far) :whistle:

...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......
JUST LEAVE FOOTPRINTS

More
8 years 7 months ago #24672 by Stoebbi
Replied by Stoebbi on topic Surfski transport in Europe
hello,
The maximum width shall not be more than 2.55 meters . • The height of vehicle and load is limited to four meters . • The load must not protrude forward of the vehicle up to a height of 2.5 meters , so no pedestrian is injured ; back up to 1.5 meters . Exception: If the scheduled distance shorter than 100 kilometers , the charge may also extend up to three meters .
So, if your van in higher than 2,5m, no problem ..

Epic V10 Sport
Hawx 46
Stellar SES
Epic V8 Pro

More
8 years 7 months ago #24673 by Stoebbi
Replied by Stoebbi on topic Surfski transport in Europe
Hello from Germany,

§22 charge

( 2 ) vehicle and load together must not be wider than 2.55 m and not more than 4 m . Vehicles that are used for agricultural or forestry purposes , may , if they are laden with agricultural or forestry products or work equipment , including charge not be wider than 3 m . Are they loaded with agricultural or forestry products , they may be higher than 4 m and its load . Refrigerated vehicles shall not be wider than 2.60 m .

( 3 ) The charge may invest up to a height of 2.50 m not forwards over the vehicle , extend down at the towing vehicle . Incidentally, the charge supernatant can forward up to 50 cm above the vehicle , for trains amount to up to 50 cm above the towing vehicle .

So if your vehicle is high above 2.50m must protrude 50cm forward your skis .

Epic V10 Sport
Hawx 46
Stellar SES
Epic V8 Pro

More
8 years 7 months ago #24693 by Davelis
Replied by Davelis on topic Surfski transport in Europe
Last year we went from Greece to France with 3 skis (6.50m) on the roof of a mini van with no problem at all. But a friend traveling in Italy have been stopped by the police and they make him buy a very large rectangular with red stripes to put on the back

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 7 months ago #24694 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Surfski transport in Europe
FRANCE:
The law states that nothing should stick out in front of the front bumper.
For the rear, a bright visible canister or orange flag is a must (if you want to follow the law).

Corruption:
France has many laws.
Few people to enforce them.
When laws are enforced, it's never a question of corruption (people on this forum must have mistaken France with a third-world-country.)
Avoid (at all costs) bribing law enforcement agents in France.
:)

Bottom Line:
Travel as safe as you can, but don't worry about carrying surfskis on the roof of a car.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics