Newble from Toronto

More
6 years 2 months ago #30807 by SpaceSputnik
Hey all

I am a complete ski newbie and generally pretty recent to paddling. Did some sea kayaking last season, took classes and whatnot. While loved being in the Toronto harbours didn't love being packed into a boat, weird sitting position, wet exits and all the mandatory gear one is supposed to carry in a sea kayak as well as a never-ending array of required self-rescue skills.

So, decided to transition to a ski and when an opportunity arose picked up a mint gen 2 Epic V7 from a private seller along with an Epic wing paddle.
Now just need to wait for the season. I am reasonably fit with good core strength. Been lifting weights consistently over last couple years so I believe I should be well set to start paddling the ski.

Meanwhile, is there anything I can do to better prepare for the season. I believe I am set for gear and clothing (3/4 wetsuit and a PFD of course), roof racks and all. I lined up an instructor for an intro lesson when the season comes.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30812 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Newble from Toronto
Welcome to the sport! Other items I found necessary are a hydration bladder to fit into the PFD (rear pocket, if there is one), waterproof bag for phone (incl. camera), and possibly VHF marine radio if appropriate in your locale. Oh, also a hat that stays on when you go for a swim... Overall I always check three times whether I have everything when I lock my car because there's so little to take it feels like I must have forgotten something :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
6 years 2 months ago #30814 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Newble from Toronto
Thanks. In regards to the radio, I have been debating if I should go a PLB route instead. But having read an article that they are may not work that well when you are floating I am not so sure.
The area where I plan on paddling gets pretty busy so maybe VHF is a good option. It requres a license that I will need to get.

More
6 years 2 months ago #30816 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Newble from Toronto
I think you are off to a good start. You will really know what your in for once you get in the ski for the first time. That's the litmus test. There aren't any lessons available around me. Come to think of it, I've only seen two other surfskis in the past two years around here.

I bought a go pro and watch K1 paddlers on youtube for comparison. V7 should be a great ski to start in and one to keep even if you decide to upgrade. I've actually been considering getting one for areas of the river I paddle that might have boulders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
6 years 2 months ago #30817 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Newble from Toronto
We have a decent watersports and paddling scene here. During prime season it's pretty common to see competitive paddles training.
I wouldn't say we have ski classes same as for kayaking, but one on one instruction is available by a paddling coach and we have a store that is an Epic dealer (same family as the coach).
Gopro or knockoffs is probably a way to go in a long run.

Latest Forum Topics