Paddle leash

More
5 years 6 months ago #32952 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Paddle leash

I think my prime responsibility is not to have the boat injure another person in the surf zone.

Yep!

I am intrigued as to what type of belt leash you have. Is it still attached to your PFD or a separate brace type system?

I use a Mocke leash, but I've modified it so that it has a quick release clip on it. The reason I use a belt rather is that I had a bad experience with an ankle leash. Years ago I found myself standing on a reef, attached to a ski with an ankle leash. A wave broke on the boat and pushed it away and the leash pulled my leg, twisting my knee... very painful.

Mocke used to sell the belts; I don't think they were very popular and I think they've been discontinued. But I really like it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eh.haole
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #32964 by eh.haole
Replied by eh.haole on topic Paddle leash
Yeah probably maximum # of leashes is 1 due to entanglement issues. On surfski, rapid boat loss is much more likely and a [marginally] worse situation than paddle loss, thus leg leash to boat (specifically: above-knee quick-releasable ski-specific leash). You'll learn to keep hold of the paddle during a capsize, especially if you're bracing properly, except you want to completely let go in any botched violent beach surf situation that literally could tear your arm off at least partially.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32968 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Paddle leash
I've been using two leashes (belt leash and paddle leash) for many years and have never had a serious problem with entanglement.

The benefit of having a paddle leash (and my motivation for doing so) is that in a situation where you're helping someone else, you can let the paddle go without losing it.

But I agree - your most important leash is from yourself to your boat. To me the paddle leash is a nice-to-have, which has been very useful for me many times over the years.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #32975 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Paddle leash
I also always use 2 leashes, boat and paddle. Like rob says, although its not hard to hold on to the paddle during a capsize, its nice to be able to use both hands when needed, set the paddle down to relax or fix something, be able to swim with both arms, assist others, etc.

I paddle alone most of the time, so I also feel it adds a margin of safety as well.

One time I did get the 2 leashes lightly tangled which resulted in missing a remount, but it was because I didnt plan my hand location and remount very well. I untangled the lines and setup for another remount with hands and leashes in the proper place and it went fine. I just plan my remounts a little better and havent had it happen again, so I think its worth the extra mobility and safety factor, but YMMV.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32979 by sski
Replied by sski on topic Paddle leash
I started using a paddle leash after reading Rob's account several months back. Only really use it when in true waves when I really like it (i do a lot of flatwater). But i keep the thin cord on my PFD pocket so always around to attach.

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #32983 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Paddle leash
If you just need something to hold the paddle while helping someone, this stick on paddle holder will do it.

www.amazon.com/Paddle-Hugger/b/ref=w_bl_...se-bin=Paddle+Hugger

I have been using it for a year. Also great when carrying your boat. Can switch hand when one gets tired.

More
5 years 5 months ago #33007 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Paddle leash
Where do you mount that paddle hugger? On the back portion of the ski?

• Wombat661
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago #33009 by Wombat661
Replied by Wombat661 on topic Paddle leash
I put it on the front side off to one side. You miss the center ridge.
Being in the front is just convenient.
Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics