Is a J-Craddle required for transporting Surf Ski?

More
6 years 1 month ago #31042 by Batman767
Do you think j-craddles are needed when transporting your surf ski?

Can you get away with just a normal roof rack system with the two roof cross bars? I'm coming from a sea kayaking background and have never used a craddle system and have had no problem. Obviously surf skis are longer and lighter.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #31046 by [email protected]
I have a Nissan with standard roof racks. I find that a ski sits comfortably if I drive slowly (which is normally the case in the city) and the wind isn't blowing.

As soon as there's any wind - or if I'm driving long distance, I have a T-bar that slots onto my tow hook. The distance between the front roof rack and the T-bar is about 3m, which provides a much more stable platform on which to strap the ski.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #31062 by Fath2o
The simple, but i'm sure controversial, answer to J racks is NO. Thick pool noodles or foam blocks will work. And yes, generally, a two cross bar rack system will work. The distance between the racks is a bigger issue. The wider the better. Customizing your racks for surfskis can limit their usefulness for other tasks.
Good luck.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Fath2o. Reason: additional info

• MCImes
  • Visitor
6 years 1 month ago #31063 by MCImes
My nissan has only 30" between bars which I have never tried alone. Before I made my own 8' long bar, I transported my first ski home on a 12' ladder strappedto the rack and 2 bow lines.

Like Rob says, in low wind/low speed transport, almost any roof rack will work. If you're at highway speed or in strong winds, I highly suspect you will want some sort of system with 2-3m between saddles.

I made my own rack from 65mm square aluminum tubing and 3/8 x 6" x 24" aluminum flat plate. I carry my ski upside down and backwards (thus avoiding the need for U shaped cradles and also much less windage, as the backwards nose acts like a wind vane)

Latest Forum Topics