Good Ski for the Irregular Paddler

More
5 years 9 months ago #32004 by Kroi
Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade from my heavy slowish "Spirit Racing Ski", It is basically a poly spec ski.

I want something fast enough to catch runners and green waves off the beach. Also fast enough to keep up with a Red7 (my paddling buddies new boat).

I don't paddle often enough (one a fortnight if I'm lucky) to develop stability for a more advanced ski. Given i don't paddle all that often i don't want to invest in a new ski so i am checking out the second hand skis and wanted some advice.

I have been offered a 2010 Fenn xt (double footwell) for a reasonable price, There is also Honcho Guru
going cheap that looks good, (would the Fenn be much faster than the Honcho?) I was told the Fenn Xt would be much faster than my current spirit ski?

There is also a few Epic v10 sports around, but i am worried about stability in these.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32005 by [email protected]
I'd avoid the Guru. It was ok in its time, but its time was long ago and IMO newer skis are more comfortable, more stable and handle better.

I'd look for a used Epic V8 Pro or Fenn Blue-fin. You should be able to paddle those without difficulty and both of them would out-perform a plastic fantastic. Even the Fenn XT would be a step up, but the Blue-fin is more stable and probably faster.

All my opinion and dissenting opinions welcome!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
5 years 9 months ago #32012 by Dicko
I haven't paddled a spirit for a long time, but my recollection was that they weren't that stable for a plastic. It may have been the leg length. They weren't built for tall folk. I suspect you would get used to the xt pretty quickly, plus they're a joy to remount. There was a time when an xt was the beginners ski. ...and we all survived.
The Honcho was pretty stable as well (if it's the same model a mate had) but they weren't built particularly strongly. They flexed a lot and his spent a fair bit of time getting repaired and strengthened. Had it for a while until it became unrepairable one day.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32013 by davgdavg
The Red/ Green 7s are/were pretty quick boats, especially in flat water. If you want to get that speed you'll really need an elite level boat.

I think most people here will tell you to forget about speed and focus on a boat that is comfortable and safe for you.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32020 by Fath2o
At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I really enjoy my old XT. Was out this weekend. There was a nice South swell, crowded beaches, warm water and sunshine. Caught some nice 3'-5' waves in the surf zone. Then getting air on the way back out punching through waves. Loads of fun. Of course this kind activity puts a heavy strain on the ski. Done a lot of repairs and reinforcement.

The key to the old XT is to get a proper rudder. I have a 10" elliptical "Think" rudder. works fantastic. I wouldn't go any smaller.
And yes, very easy to remount.
Good luck.

More
5 years 9 months ago #32023 by Kroi
Thanks for the replies Guys,

I will definitely go the Fenn XT, I have found one in reasonable condition for a good price but i has 2 chips in the hull of the boat that will need to be touched up with clearcoat. Is this easy enough to do or should i just keep looking.

Fath2o - Was there any issues fitting a think rudder to a fenn ski?

More
5 years 9 months ago #32054 by Fath2o
Kroi, Ding repairs for surfskis with epoxy or paint are pretty simple, plenty of advice online. Gelcoat dings do not require repair unless there is a hole or crack that lets water in. Just a cosmetic issue.
As far as rudders go, I don't remember the details fitting the think rudder. The shaft probably had to be shimmed a little and the top of the rudder shaped to the hull. I don't see the ten inch advertised now. I worked directly with Darryl at Think when I purchased the rudder that came with a think tiller arm.
It would probably be simpler to get a DK rudder. I don't have any experience with them.
Another option is to have Jude at Huki customize you a rudder. He has a very nice selection including a 10" "extreme" conditions rudder. Everything he does is TOP quality.
With the rudder position on the old XT is so far back and the increased rocker, the stock shark fin rudder is rarely in the water in any kind of chop.
Good Luck!

www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=i...4452b1pj56ft6dl5klv6

Latest Forum Topics