Hip/knee boat contact

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #34740 by SpaceSputnik
A basic question. Should I strive to keep knees close together K1 style or I can splay apart a bit so I get a more boat contact at the sides of hips and knees. Not at the expense of the leg pump and rotation of course.
Normally I keep knees in front of me and pretty close together (a couple of inches I guess). Legs are pretty free. Seems to work nicely in the flat. However I did a fair bit of side chop today and found that keeping legs apart some so I feel carrying handles of my Evo on the side of my knees helped with stability. Didn't have to brace as much and the power was coming down quite well.
With all the instruction I received this year I feel I should already know this but I guess it never came up somehow.
Somebody explain please?
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34741 by [email protected]
I passed your question on to Oscar Chalupsky.  He replied (succinctly!): 

Knees close together best for leg drive and rotation

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
4 years 9 months ago #34742 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Hip/knee boat contact
Thanks Rob. Close together it is.
I guess I need to continue working on "sitting the boat out" with a leaning forward posture and channeling my weight down to the deepest part of the bucket.

More
4 years 9 months ago #34747 by David Grainger
So far we've talked about leg contact, which for me isn't desirable because the legs are moving up and down to initiate lower body rotation, and leg contact would make the boat less stable, not more stable. IMO Hip contact and a good fitting foot strap can help with stability.  The hips should touch the vertical sides of the bucket as high as possible so you get feedback early when the boat starts to tip. Not so tight that it inhibits rotation, but there should be no boat tipping without feeling it in your hips. The foot strap should be adjusted so there is no space between the strap and the top of your foot. I actually refitted a Nelo carbon pull bar on my V14, which greatly improved my ability in that boat. Now I'm in a Nelo 560, which comes with an adjustable pull bar. I did pad out the hip area, which on the 560 is 3/4" wider than the boat which fits me best -Fenn Mako6- at the top of the bucket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #34748 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Hip/knee boat contact
I had another chop session and I think I need to take my question off the table. Sitting upright and forward while channeling my weight down the bucket as opposed to the back of the bucket as well as directing power alongside the shaft in a more pronounced way seemed to do the trick. Knees together works fine as well.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by SpaceSputnik.

Latest Forum Topics