Installing Andersen bailer?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #37488 by MCImes
Installing Andersen bailer? was created by MCImes
Hey guys,
I am considering cutting a hole in my (canadian) canoe and installing an andersen bailer. (not for actual bailing, but to create a hole in the bottom of my boat. I live near a reservoir that requires a 30 day quarantine, then the boat must be locked to a trailer with the special reservoir lock to ensure its quarantine is not broken).

I have no interest in using a trailer so ive been contemplating ways to disable my boat. I got this idea from a cable lock for a revolver. Similarly to the revolver, I figure I could run a cable through the bailer, around the side of the boat, and effectively disable the boat from being used elsewhere.

My canoe is a Wenonah Kevlar UL layup, which is  all kevlar with a foam (or nomex?) core.

My question is, how hard is it to install an Andersen bailer? I am proficient with composite repair so im fairly confident I could handle it fine

2nd, whats the best tool to cut through the Kevlar and core? I'm thinking an angle grinder or extremely fine tooth reciprocating saw?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37492 by sarzelopez
Can you negotiate using something like a longer bicycle lock going around the stern or bow handle?
or worst case scenario drilling a hole as far up in the gunwale as possible to run the lock though that you can tape over until its eventually 5 minute fixed with some epoxy putty?

Opening a big rectangular hole on the bottom just for locking sounds a bit weird. Then again you would end up with a new bailer. I have not installed any Andersen bailer, but with the canoe being flattish and "thin" it looks like it would be a simple hole opening, installing and sealing, (oversimplifying of course) nothing compared to doing a composite repair.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37495 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Installing Andersen bailer?
I have installed andersen bailers on 6 men outrigger canoes.
1- Cut a rectangular hole in your hull using a jigsaw (cardboard template comes with bailer).
2- Drill 6 holes for bolts and nuts.
3- Put everything in place : bailer + rubber seal + bolts, tighten the nuts.
4- Have a beer.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37500 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Installing Andersen bailer?
The Anderson bailer can't be used for this as you will not be able to get a rope through it as it has a molded mesh.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37502 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Installing Andersen bailer?
That's correct.  I have one on my sky and it does have a mesh barrier.  If you are just looking for a locking point, drill a hole in the side to run a lock through.  Could even reinforce it a little to make it more durable.  Whichever way, it's only as good as the thief is determined.  Short of cutting a hole in the bottom of the canoe and walking away with the plug :)

Latest Forum Topics