Waterproof gloves?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #38300 by jsapan
Waterproof gloves? was created by jsapan
I'm trying to find gloves that will keep me warm in moderate conditions when the water is cold and there's wind without losing too much dexterity.  I find that the NRS Hydroskin gloves do not work very well in this scenario.  They might have been fine without any wind, but on a 60F+ day, my hands got painfully cold when the wind picked up.  I'm also not a fan of neoprene "wet" gloves.

I'm not finding a lot of people offering waterproof gloves that are lightweight and have good dexterity.  So far, the best contenders have been gloves marketed for other purposes.  The Seirus Hyperlite Xtreme glove is super comfortable and form fitting, but it seems to require a little too much effort to grip a paddle shaft for an extended period.  It does seem to be truly waterproof in brief testing.  The Black Diamond ARC might be good choice but my hands definitely get clammier in them and the it seems to have a "floating"  intermediate lining.  Also seems to be truly waterproof.  Bought a pair of Sealskinz All Weather gloves, but those definitely are too thick without pre-curved fingers.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by jsapan. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #38307 by mrcharly
Replied by mrcharly on topic Waterproof gloves?
Forget gloves. Use pogies.

You are paddling in fairly mild conditions. 

the nylon silver-lined ones will be fine for you. 

Pogies will protect your hands, you won't loose grip and they'll help retain the paddle when very strong winds threaten to rip the paddle out of your hands.

Here is a very popular model sold in the UK:
marathon pogies

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #38310 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Waterproof gloves?
Yesterday I went through the same problem of cold wind on a 60-something-degree day, with cold water all around. Everything else stayed warm enough (7mm surfer booties, 2mm full-leg Farmer Jane worn over a 1.5mm neoprene long-sleeve top)  except for my hands, once that wind increased.

The best paddling gloves I had ever used were the old prebent Glacier Gloves ice-climbing gloves. These had a textured rubber or raw neoprene outside, with a short fuzz lining. Windproof and waterproof. Glacier seems to have changed their line of gloves, but the gloves might simply be called a different name now, likely these  glacierglove.com/kenai-waterproof/   But these would have been overkill for yesterday’s temps. Plus, I still prefer bare hands to any gloves.

I have worn the standard original Sealskinz gloves in the past, but they literally STANK because it was nearly impossible to turn them inside out for washing and air-drying. They also leaked like crazy at all seams. Threw them away and never bought another pair of those.

So, the best solution I came up with for these kinds of early- and late-season paddles in wind is to put on a pair of ultrathin polypro liner gloves (inexpensive) and pull on vinyl disposable gloves over those. They’re compact enough you can tuck them into a drybag or pocket and only put on when conditions call for their use. Though vinyls won’t last long and I hate to recommend disposable gloves, so far this is the best solution I’ve found. Your hands will eventually get wet from sweat inside—beware!—still warmer than bare hands in the wind.

Pogies are OK. I didn’t like that they were attached to the paddle shaft instead of my hands. I think I’ll try a few more times and see if I like them any better now. The ones I have are Kokatat, with a nylon outer that has a fleece liner on the top part. Windproof, but the paddle shaft directly under your hands could still feel very cold. Probably won’t be bad in 60-degree air as long as the water is not, say, 35 degrees.

My husband bought rowing pogies similar to the above Kokatat pogies. Apparently, they are very popular for rowing shells, which makes sense for use with oars. They were less expensive than Ktat.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Arcturus.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #38311 by Bill L
Replied by Bill L on topic Waterproof gloves?

Arcturus wrote: So, the best solution I came up with for these kinds of early- and late-season paddles in wind is to put on a pair of ultrathin polypro liner gloves (inexpensive) and pull on vinyl disposable gloves over those. They’re compact enough you can tuck them into a drybag or pocket and only put on when conditions call for their use. Though vinyls won’t last long and I hate to recommend disposable gloves, so far this is the best solution I’ve found.

I second this method.   I use XL nitrile surgical gloves (I think a bit more robust than the vinyls, and way better than latex gloves).  I use pogies when it is really cold, but when the air and water start warming and I am not sure if pogies will be too warm, I wear 3 mm neoprene "wet gloves" (not seam sealed).  If my hands are getting warm, a simple dip will cool them down. If the wind picks up and they are getting cold, I stop and pull out the pair of nitrile gloves from my pfd and pull over the neoprene gloves - that effectively stops all evaporative cooling and really warms the hands, without the extra weight of the pogies.

More
3 years 1 week ago #38318 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Waterproof gloves?
I go with the nylon pogies too as they keep the windchill off, and dont add any real weight to the paddle. You soon forget you even have them on. Dont get any overheating issues either.

If you go with any kind of glove make sure they have a reinforced gusset between thumb and finger, similar to bike gloves, otherwise the paddle shaft will soon wear through them. This is the common issue when folks use dive gloves and the like, the seam stitching wears out. Obviously doesnt matter for disposables.

More
3 years 1 week ago #38323 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Waterproof gloves?
Since you said you don't like neoprene "wet" gloves, here's something to consider: www.rei.com/product/136766/rei-co-op-pol...power-stretch-gloves
I've used these stretchy gloves in the shoulder seasons like you mentioned where it's too cold for bare hands, but not cold enough for neoprene gloves. Yes, they aren't really waterproof but the stretchy fleece dries super fast and stays warm even when wet. The grip is not too grippy like some wetsuit gloves either. 

Someone else mentioned "glacier gloves". I use glacier gloves all winter when the air temps are well below freezing. The older ones are better than the newer ones but they still get the job done. They would probably be too warm for 60 degree days. 

More
3 years 1 week ago #38346 by Charivari
Replied by Charivari on topic Waterproof gloves?
For paddling I love my ION gloves, to keep the fingers warm.
www.ion-products.com/water/men/neo-accessories/?style=Gloves

Sailing since 1985, Laser, Cat.
Round the world trip by bike, 1990.
Sea-kayak from Vancouver to Alaska, 1990.
A-Cat, Bimare, 1990.
Coastal Rowing, Virus, 1992.
Fyling A-Cat, DNA F1, 2018.
New Coastal Rowing Boat, Volans, 2019.
First Surfski experience, material rent, 2020.
First Surfski, NK61, 2021

Latest Forum Topics