epic v8 pro vs v9

More
2 years 9 months ago #38755 by bradgross2013
looking for a new boat and thinking v8 pro or a v9,  at this point im just doing flat water. i currently own a v8, gen 2 v10 and a v10l. my question is will the v9 be faster on flat water?(they say it is) on paper it should be because its a inch narrower and the same length but it has way more rocker and i think that will slow it down. also which of those boats have the smallest cockpit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #38756 by [email protected]
I recently had a couple of paddles on a V9 (the only one in South Africa!) and absolutely loved it.  But...  all the paddles were downwind and I didn't get the chance to paddle it on flat water.

The cockpit was definitely a narrower, more comfortable fit than the V10S, can't comment on the V8Pro.

Sorry - this is almost entirely irrelevant given the specifics of your question!  For me though, given the choice of V8Pro, V10S and V9, I'd go for the V9 every time.  If the V10 3g was added to the mix, I'd go V10 3g (which I paddled in Aus, also downwind, 2 years ago). 

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #38757 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic epic v8 pro vs v9
I've paddled the V8pro in various conditions and I own a V9. I haven't done any back to back speed testing but I think they would be similar in flat water speed. The V9 is probably a tiny bit faster.
The V8 pro is not great in downwind conditions whereas the V9 is one of the best downwind skis (in the stable intermediate category) that I've ever paddled. If as you say you're just doing flat water; you won't experience anything like the full potential of the V9. The V8 pro is a nice ski if you don't plan on surfing. I think it has a better speed to stability ratio than the V9. 
I found the cockpits to be similar. Neither of them are what I would call snug and they're not as comfortable (for me at least) as the cockpit in the V10L and the Carbonology Sport Boost LV.
Your choice will depend on your motivation for buying another ski particularly since you already have a V10L which is a fast ski optimised for the conditions you paddle in.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Atlas.

More
2 years 9 months ago #38768 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic epic v8 pro vs v9
Seems like you already have a pretty solid fleet of boats. I switched out my v8pro for a v10g3. It's a significant difference (for me). The v8pro is rock solid in any conditions and the perfect "first ski". Your v8 should be a great intro boat for teaching new paddlers or paddling in cold/really rough weather. The v10g2 and v10l are both great flat water boats if speed is your thing. I think the v8pro or v9 would be kind of redundant in your fleet. If your really only paddle flat  water either the v8pro or v9 would be fine, but if you ever get into downwind the v9 or v10(g3) would be better just because they have more rocker.

Another consideration if you aren't tied to the Epic brand would be the Vega flex. Seems like a lot of ski for the money and is awesome if you downwind. 

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #39713 by Possum
Replied by Possum on topic epic v8 pro vs v9
Hi Atlas, I'm interested in your opinion on the V9 compared to the Boost LV which I currently paddle. I find the Boost LV to be super stable & comfortable but perhaps a little too wide in the cockpit (41cm) and could do with more volume in the nose. The low volume makes for a wet ride but on a positive note is super easy to remount. I'm 80 kgs with full hydration pack, PFD & leash.

Just found your thread which pretty much answered my question. Seems like the Boost LVX might be the better option due to the more compact & comfortable cock pit (over the V9).

BTW, which 2 DK rudders do you use on the LV?

Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Possum. Reason: Found most of the answers earlier in the thread

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #39714 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic epic v8 pro vs v9
Hi Possum.
Overall I found the V9 to be the better pure downwind ski but the Boost LV X (which is still very good downwind) is more comfortable and versatile. As such I sold the V9 and kept the Boost LV X.
Both the V9 and the Boost LV X have a similar overall stability but the V9 seems to have more primary stability and a little less secondary stability. The Boost LV X has a slightly wider and more rounded hull and thus less primary but a little more secondary stability. I find this profile to work better for me particularly in crappy side-on conditions which I encounter frequently. The low profile bow of the Boost LV X seems to catch less cross wind than the V9 too (although the V9 is not terrible in that department). Not surprisingly the V9 doesn't nose dive as much as the Boost LV X. It also drains quicker. I removed the kooky one way valves from my Boost LV X. Optimal drainage is more important to me than dry balls on the rare occasion that I'm sitting around in the ski not actually paddling. I always use a wave deflector too. I found the V9 didn't really need one.
There's not much in it. Most paddlers would get confident in either ski. Large framed or overweight paddlers in particular will really enjoy the V9… Or the standard Boost X.
I use a DK 7" 30º high chord rudder most of the time. This rudder is nearly weed free (it still catches a bit of fine weed like sea grass) and is responsive enough in most conditions. For really rough or big downwind conditions I use a DK 9" 20º high chord rudder. This rudder provides sensational directional stability and very responsive steering but is overkill for most conditions as it's a bit of a weed magnet. The rudder placement on the Boost LV X is 100mm forward compared to the original Boost LV. This makes a big difference even without fancy custom made rudders.
Most of my comments about the Boost LV X apply to the Boost LV except the characteristics relating to rudder position.
Hope that helps.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Atlas.

More
1 year 1 week ago #40362 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic epic v8 pro vs v9
Hi Robin

I see some V9's are making their way to SA.
Epic V9 vs Fenn XTS?
Would like to hear your take.

Thanks
David W

More
1 year 1 week ago #40363 by [email protected]
Hey David,

I've paddled both boats on Miller's Runs and the XTS at a Seadog or two.

In terms of stability, I'd say they're fairly evenly matched - the V9 is slightly but perceptibly more stable than my pre-Fennix Swordfish for example.

I think the V7 has quite a bit less volume than the XTS and feels a bit more lively downwind, if that makes sense.

For me the V9 cockpit is a much more comfortable sit, these days. I find the newer generation Fenns tend to rub my coccyx - but that's a very personal issue, bums are unique to each individual and if you can find boats to sit in and try out, that's always the best!

I thought they were both really fun boats, but if it were my choice, I'd probably go V9.

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 1 week ago #40364 by Davidw
Replied by Davidw on topic epic v8 pro vs v9
Thanks Rob

I currently have an XTS as my downwind boat. I paddle a Vault in more moderate conditions.

So I was wondering whether it was worth replacing the XTS with a V9.

I was also told by someone else that the V9 has similar stability but is more reactive, and steers better downwind.

Given your experience it's probably not worth spending the extra R10k. I think I like the extra volume.

If I need more lively I can paddle my Vault ;)

More
1 year 1 week ago #40365 by [email protected]
I think Davey Brand has a V9 here that he might let you try...

If nothing else, you'd have a paddle on another nice boat!

What you should really be doing of course, is paddling that Vault downwind!

Rob

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #40829 by Stefanus
Replied by Stefanus on topic epic v8 pro vs v9

Hi Possum.
Overall I found the V9 to be the better pure downwind ski but the Boost LV X (which is still very good downwind) is more comfortable and versatile. As such I sold the V9 and kept the Boost LV X.
Both the V9 and the Boost LV X have a similar overall stability but the V9 seems to have more primary stability and a little less secondary stability. The Boost LV X has a slightly wider and more rounded hull and thus less primary but a little more secondary stability. I find this profile to work better for me particularly in crappy side-on conditions which I encounter frequently. The low profile bow of the Boost LV X seems to catch less cross wind than the V9 too (although the V9 is not terrible in that department). Not surprisingly the V9 doesn't nose dive as much as the Boost LV X. It also drains quicker. I removed the kooky one way valves from my Boost LV X. Optimal drainage is more important to me than dry balls on the rare occasion that I'm sitting around in the ski not actually paddling. I always use a wave deflector too. I found the V9 didn't really need one.
There's not much in it. Most paddlers would get confident in either ski. Large framed or overweight paddlers in particular will really enjoy the V9… Or the standard Boost X.
I use a DK 7" 30º high chord rudder most of the time. This rudder is nearly weed free (it still catches a bit of fine weed like sea grass) and is responsive enough in most conditions. For really rough or big downwind conditions I use a DK 9" 20º high chord rudder. This rudder provides sensational directional stability and very responsive steering but is overkill for most conditions as it's a bit of a weed magnet. The rudder placement on the Boost LV X is 100mm forward compared to the original Boost LV. This makes a big difference even without fancy custom made rudders.
Most of my comments about the Boost LV X apply to the Boost LV except the characteristics relating to rudder position.
Hope that helps.
Not sure about your remarks about the V9 cockpit vs the Boost LV x cockpit. The V9 cockpit width is 0.5cms narrower than the latest Boost LV cockpit and suits smaller paddlers. In fact Epic have just brought out s special edition V9 with theV10 Sport bucket for larger paddlers. I have the latest generation Boost LV and find it a brilliant, stable boat but I eould prefer the narrower V9 bucket.

Latest Forum Topics