Surfski length epic v8pro or think zen

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40624 by Stann1980
I am a 170cm 150lbs paddler, I have an Epic v8pro Ultra and recently been paddling with my friend’s Think Zen fiberglass
I am amazed how the Think Zen performs because of the shorter length.

I am a paddler from Hong Kong, so we have flat water and rough waters, basically I paddle in mixed conditions, I don’t paddle only downwind, but I do enjoy flat, rough, downwind, upwind, long distance, chasing ferries.

Which is better option for me? Zen or V8pro? Shorter of longer boats?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40625 by zachhandler
The zen is really not a huge amount shorter than the v8 pro. What is it specifically that you thought was good about the zen in which conditions? Maybe it is some other aspect of the zen that made it perform well for you. Or maybe it is the length. Ultimately the question of which boat is better for you simply comes down whichever boat you enjoy more.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #40626 by Steve Hansen
The specs are very similar on these boats. Volume looks about the same. The Zen is slightly shorter and slightly wider.The V8 Pro has more rocker. It may just come down to cockpit ergonomics, stability characteristics, and fun factor.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #40664 by Atlas
FWIW; I don't rate either of those skis. Not for downwind paddling anyway. I've paddled them both extensively.
I find that the V8pro nosedives pretty badly and the Zen has a weird (lateral) stability profile and very poor directional stability. They are popular skis though so they obviously work for some people.
At your weight; you would do well to try some low volume skis. The Carbonology Sport Boost X LV is a good one. If you like the idea of shorter skis then the Nelo 520 S or 540 S are worth testing.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #40665 by qmento
I'm also a big fan of the Carbonology Boost X LV. I've paddled both the V8 Pro and the Zen and consider them fine for flat water but not much else. The Boost is great in mixed conditions, maybe not so fast in the flat, but that depends a lot on the motor. The Boost is stable and fun to surf, it's also the ski you want to be on when conditions suddenly turn sketchy on you.

I think there is something to paddling shorter skis though. I'm currently paddling a Carbonology Vault X (20'), my buddy paddles a V5 (14") and my wife paddles a Carbonology Splash (16'). The water is almost always choppy here on the windward side of Hawai'i Island and my wife and buddy always seem to have a lot more fun in the funky, short interval stuff than I do. The only time I seem to have an advantage is when conditions are calm and I can take advantage of the longer ski's glide or when the fetch between runners is longer than normal and I can surf the bumps further. If I had more storage I'd look at getting a Nordic 540.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #40666 by Stann1980
I currently have a carbon layup of Cruze, and I use tit for very rough conditions, been using it for a year and I think I will keep it for life. It’s so stable and fast, I’m not a strong paddler but I’m able to keep up with 9-10 km/h avg speed, avg speed faster when I’m paddling with zen and v8pro.

How is the stability better for boost comparing with zen and v8pro ? Is the boost stability similar to Cruze, just slightly tippier? I should perhaps consider a boost if I enjoy so much with the Cruze .

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #40672 by Slowpop
I am a light weight paddler also (160lbs) with a slim build and average skills. I recently paddled a V8 Pro for a 1 hour session in mixed conditions, I have been a Think EVO paddler for a number of years both G2 and G3. The most striking difference between the EPIC products and the THINK skis is for me always the cockpit. The EPIC products seem to have a very ‘generic’ one size fits all design approach where the Think boats do seem to be focused on slimmer people . This gives me more torso to cockpit contact around my hips , calves and thighs which does help with boat control in the conditions you described. I seem to rely less on bracing and use my body to control the boat.
I suspect you have the same feeling when you paddle your friends ZEN ski.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40675 by qmento
I’m a small guy (150lbs) with average skills and have paddled all four skis you’ve mentioned. I can answer your questions based on my experiences.

The stability of the Boost is similar to the V8 pro. Both are slightly tippier than Cruze but not by a whole lot. You’ll get used to it rather quickly.

The Zen has more primary stability than the Boost or V8 pro and just a little less than the Cruze, but it’s secondary stability is a little weird for me. Tip it over on it’s side you’ll feel planted, then all of a sudden you’re in the water.

The Zen and the V8 pro feel faster than the Boost when it’s calm. I think their flat rockers have a lot to do with that. But because of their flat rockers they are harder to manage in choppy conditions.

So, imho, if you’re paddling in mostly calm, flatter conditions the Zen and the V8 pro are great selections, you can be faster than on a Boost. If you surf or paddle in mixed conditions the Boost is a better choice, it’s more “all terrain,” but you probably aren’t going to win calm water races with it.

As an aside, if you get the Boost and eventually want to step up to the Zest. Be forewarned that that’s a BIG jump in skill level. I’m going through it now.

Hope this helps.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #40680 by Reavley
I would tend to agree with the comment about the "generic" Epic cockpit if you are talking about older generations and/or some specific models. But some of the more recent Epics like the Epic V9 (and several others) have gone with a slimmer cockpit that fits me fine and does not require the side padding I have had to use in other surfskis.