'leash' for glasses

More
15 years 1 month ago #3041 by YBA/Jim Murray
I have yet to find a comfortable and sure way to keep prescription glasses in place. The string and safety pin worked reasonably well until my last encounter with a breaking wave.
it would be great to hear of something that works well-and is easy to remember putting in place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3042 by tomb
Replied by tomb on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
Hi Jim

I use Chums they are an American brand but available in Aus, they are adjustable and comfortable to the extent you don't know they are on and they fit any glasses.

Cheers
Tom. BB)

More
15 years 1 month ago #3043 by YBA/Jim Murray
Thanks Tom
These look pretty good-will order a pair.
Jim

More
15 years 1 month ago #3044 by [email protected]
I've tried all sorts of straps, and finally went back to the String Version 1.0.

Works the best! (And is sometimes the cause of conversation - an opportunity to evangalise the sport...!)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
15 years 1 month ago #3046 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
Not much help for prescription glasses but I purchased a pair of these cgi.ebay.com.au/HOT-BLUE-SURF-JET-SKI-WA...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
and have found them to be great in surf. I have tied a bit of string to the strap to connect to a cap and have also used them mountain biking.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3047 by RHamady
Replied by RHamady on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
Check this site out, Sea Specs......

I use them for sunglasses and they are awesome, they also allow for prescriptions, so that may work for you. Only $49.00, may be a little more to get the prescriptions in. They have a strap that is molded to the glasses with an adjustment on it to tighten to your desired fit. Plus they are polarized.

www.seaspecs.com/

Hope this helps,
Aloha,
-Rich

More
15 years 1 month ago #3049 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
seaspecs are even cheaper if you consider that you get 3 pairs and geet charged for 2, plus free expedition...
And they float ! so no worries if you drop them in the water.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3055 by AndrewN
Replied by AndrewN on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
Oakley Water Jackets with a prescription lens.

The best water sport sunglasses/gleasses ever made. They were designed for surfing so you know they aren't coming off!

More
15 years 1 month ago #3056 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
Just googled them oakley.com/pd/2044
and apparently they are discontinued. Shame, Oakley make a great product.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3246 by cjborg
Having lost two pair of expensive prescription sunglasses in the surf, and then a third pair of prescription water sport glasses in the surf, I can attest to the power of water and wave to get between the face and the lens and strip the glasses away in a fraction of a second, retention strap and all.

The key is to find a pair of sport glasses that really fit your face so that the frame sits in the eye socket and does not allow much water to force its way between. Goggles would be the optimum, but are uncomfortable for some folks and fog more easily.

Seaspecs and some of the other water glasses models may be wonderful, but only come in 8-base curvature... i.e., very curved. This is great if your prescription allows it, but for those of us with very strong prescriptions and the need of bifocal or progressive lenses (It's nice to be able to read your GPS as well as see see the shoreline), 6-base is the most curvature we can use.

I found a pair of Rec Specs (the SPX Cross Trainer) Sport glasses that fit my face well and attached a retention cord by Terra Cords. The Terra Cord has beefy rubber ends that slide onto the last inch of the temple arms... I added a little super glue for assurance ;) and they've been great so far. They also work well for any rugged outdoor sport, like mountain biking. I would recommend working with Shannen at "A Sight for Sport Eyes" <www.sporteyes.com>. It is worth the hassle of buying a few frames and having them shipped to you to test the fit. Sport Eyes will refund you for the returned frames - then order your prescription in the best frame for you. Get a stout cord and glue it to the temple arms... don't take chances - believe me!
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by cjborg.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3248 by YBA/Jim Murray
Thanks cjborg, I have all the prescription problems you mention. I ended up with North Face frames that are comfortable and work well. The temple pieces have holes in ends that make for great attachment points for string. The string attaches to clothing collar or life vest. This seems the most secure method.
So far, so good..but I have a long successful track record losing prescription glasses.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3249 by cjborg
Holes are better than glue. I hesitated drilling them myself, so counting on the glue to hold.

I didn't realize North Face made frames... I'll keep that in mind, although let's both cross fingers that we lose no more!! I'd rather spend the dough on a new paddle. Are the NF frames safety glasses that take safety lenses? That was a selling point for me with the Rec Specs since I use them for mountain biking as well.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
14 years 11 months ago #3250 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:... But, For Strong Prescriptions
Know exactly where you're coming from. Had the same problem up to 3 weeks ago (from the age of 13). From -4 script to 20/20 vision thanks to Lasik surgery. Costs are less than 3 pairs of specs and easy as pie if you fit the profile.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3251 by cjborg
Thanks for rubbing it in, SS7!B) Seriously though, good for you!
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by cjborg.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3252 by YBA/Jim Murray
I suppose that profile includes an age limit?

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
14 years 11 months ago #3253 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:... But, For Strong Prescriptions
Hi Jim

To the best of my (limited) knowledge no. In fact one of the pre-requisites is that your script must have stabilised (usually when you're older). I first wanted to have it done when i was in my twenties, but was advised to wait (for technology to improve and my script to settle) and had it done now (at 38). I think the other requirement is that astigmatism must be absent or limited. Any optometrist can tell if you are a suitable candidate. Only drawback is that you may need reading glasses when you hit golf playing age - 60's (acceptable odds). John Anderson (from PE) had it done in his late 40's some years ago.

Cheers
S.S.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3254 by CPYuHK
Replied by CPYuHK on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
how about do a LASIK&#12300; Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis&#12301;to correct your sight permanently? is it common in other places like South Africa or Australia?

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
14 years 11 months ago #3255 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:'leash' for glasses
Sorry you lost me with the techno stuff. I had Lasik procedure performed when I was in South Africa recently. My sight is permanently corrected. With old age comes reading glasses (50/50 chance)

More
14 years 11 months ago #3256 by YBA/Jim Murray
The NF frames are popular with beach volley ball players. I think they would be OK for mountain biking, but they wouldn't likely pass industrial safety standards.

Latest Forum Topics