newbie in Connecticut

More
14 years 9 months ago #3462 by csang
newbie in Connecticut was created by csang
Hi I'm new to surf skis. Today was the first day I tried one, an Epic V10sport. A local kayak shop has one and they let me demo it. I managed to stay upright on it after a couple of tries and even paddled to the end of the docks and back, about 100 yards, I was in a marina. I had a very hard time doing remounts. I ended up using the dock for help.
So my question is if anyone out there knows of any surfski schools in this area, northeast USA.

I like kayaking and really want to try moving up to a surfski. BTW the kayak I use is a very stable one so having to balance is pretty new to me. I'll take all the advice you can give. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #3465 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re:newbie in Connecticut
Hi,

Well, staying upright is how most of us started out, and remount practice is always a good thing! Good for you-stay at it. As for surf ski schools/instruction, Ed Duggan runs one up in MA. Check out www.surfskiracing.com and nesurfski.net. Also, look into Ben Lawry in Wickford, RI at The Kayak Centre, maybe he'd do some lessons.

Where in CT are you located? There is a core group of surfski paddlers that go out of Greenwich and Westport. Email me and we'll see what assistance we can provide.

Mark

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
14 years 9 months ago #3466 by csang
Replied by csang on topic Re:newbie in Connecticut
Thanks Mark that's good info about the school. I know the Kayak Center in R.I. I've been in there a few times and was going to go out there for the demo of the V10Sport but I found that the Small Boat Shop in Norwalk had one. Thats where I tried it. Unfortunately the salespeople although very friendly didn't know much about surfskies.

I'm in Stamford and when I finally buy this surfski I'd love to get together with some of your group for any advice you could give me. I've been paddleing alone and I'm sure that I've picked up many bad habits that I'm going to have to fix.

Thanks again,
Claude

Latest Forum Topics