Struggling to get going

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #4042 by rubberDuck
Hi all

I am a complete noob, and have to date had 5 hours on the water and I need some advice.

When starting I usually have my legs out as I was instructed and then give a few strokes to pick up some speed, but my problem starts when I need to put my feet into the ski. My paddle leash keeps getting in the way of my one foot, I then struggle getting it on the pedal, loose speed and focus, and then I go for a swim. :ohmy:

How do you guys manage the paddle leash and the feet since I see that paddle leashes are mostly tied just ahead of the pedals in the footwell?

Any advice is appreciated. I have a Think Evo BTW, which I seem to manage fine as soon as I get going.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by rubberDuck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #4043 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:Struggling to get going
Maybe try the leash on the other leg. You can also get away with a shorter coiled calf leash on the EVO because of the dedicated leash attachment point, so it should'nt get down to yr feet.

Coiled leashes can stretch and be longer so maybe heat it under some hot water and recoil it around a broom handle to cool and it should shorten up again.
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by superted.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4044 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re:Struggling to get going
Try changing the coil leash to 3mm spectra (boat shop)and it won't annoy you. When you've put in the hours, you won't even think about your leash, you'll be too busy thinking of reasons to justify buying something skinnier and made of carbon, and then how to hide the purchase from the missus.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4045 by LaPerouser
Hi

I have a Think Legend, which (I think) has a similiar dedicated leash attachment point to the Evo.

You said 'paddle leash', not 'leg leash' which seems to be what
superted is referring to??

I also use a paddle leash, and also used to get a leg caught when either mounting or demounting with the leash attached to the dedicated mount point. I have re-attached the leash to one of the footstraps (near the centre), and no longer have a problem (it's a coiled leash).

When I connected from the dedicated attachment point to the paddle, the leash tended to come up between my knees when paddling, and made any sidesaddle mount/demount difficult.

Hope this helps.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4046 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re:Struggling to get going
Oops my bad B)

More
14 years 2 months ago #4047 by rubberDuck
Thanks. I initially had it tied to the side of the right-hand footstrap, then I moved it to the dedicated attachment point. I will check it out this weekend and see if it helps tying to the center of the footstraps.

Hiding a nice Fenn Elite Carbon from the missus? Nah, wouldn't need to do that. I also bought a nice Kazkazi Duo for us too keep the missus happy.

She has seen me coming back from the beach with a big smile on the face and now she also wants to go on the surf ski. One of these days she will want her own surf ski, and that's when I will utter the words "upgrade". Not even mentioning that my 9 year old son also want some time on the Evo. I already ordered him a Guppy.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4048 by garykroukamp
If it isn't windy, then leave the leash off. When you're learning you'll be much better off and safer in calm conditions anyway.

General advice for those wishing to upgrade secretly... Order the boat in the same colour scheme, and she'll never know. I have not, in fact, tried this, so can't guarantee success.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4049 by YBA/Jim Murray
Gary, she will know and years after you have forgotten she will remind you of that -and others of your trangressions. All of them to the last detail will come back to haunt you. I have experience in these matters.
J. :blink:

More
14 years 2 months ago #4051 by Will Hardman
I upgraded, with different colours, she still hasnt said anything, been a year!!!

• StuartXpat
  • Visitor
14 years 2 months ago #4054 by StuartXpat
Replied by StuartXpat on topic Re:Struggling to get going
Loose the paddle leash. They are dangerous, break paddles, boats and legs. Stick with a calf leash, you have more chance of staying with your boat that way anyway. Have fun.

More
14 years 2 months ago #4056 by rubberDuck
I went out this morning just before work. It went much better and I carried the ski back with a smile. I actually also caught a nice swell coming in and felt how nicely the Evo picked up speed. Amazing ski.

It also helped that I got me some decent paddle shorts and surfer booties. I got my feet all cut up on the rocks under the water last week, which was also contributing to me loosing my focus.

Latest Forum Topics