PFD's - Australia

More
13 years 10 months ago #4655 by Cameron
PFD's - Australia was created by Cameron
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/knowledge on whether PFD's will become compulsory for Ocean Racing in Australia?
I have noticed a few more events are requiring them and before I run out and buy one, just wanted to know if there was general consensus if that was the way it is likely to go.

Cheers

Cam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4662 by Perth ski chick
Hi Cam-

I can say conclusively YES in terms of races in WA. Indian Ocean Paddlers races will require them from now on - we even made Dean Gardiner wear one on a dead-flat race course on Saturday! And they're compulsory in 'the Doctor'.

-Di

More
13 years 10 months ago #4664 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:PFD's - Australia
It would be great to hear from race organisers from all over Aussie in regards to this.

On that note, anybody know of a great paddling PFD?
I have one already, but never use it.
It's a bit bulky and really the only thing good about it is that it has a bladder in it.

It does seem to me to be a bit silly to enforce PFD usage as most never wear them for training when they are in a more vulnerable position of not having any support/safety vessels around.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 10 months ago #4665 by [email protected]
There's been a lot of vociferous discussion on the site about PFDs. In South Africa they're mandatory for all racing and although there are grumbles every now and then, the guys have pretty much got used to them.

As for training - everyone I paddle with regularly wears a PFD.

And most wear the Mocke PFD. I've used the Mocke PFD for a couple of years now and really don't notice it. It's part of my kit, I automatically put it on before paddling.

The arguments in favour of PFDs have been repeated many times, but one of the reasons that race organisers insist on them is in case of litigation.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 10 months ago #4666 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:PFD's - Australia
Living on the Gold Coast in Australia, I don't think I have ever seen anybody in a surf ski wearing one.
The sea kayak crowd certainly do though.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 10 months ago #4672 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re:PFD's - Australia
For a number of years I never wore one, but after thinking about the reason for these items I've come around and use one almost all of the time. I admit, here in WA I seem to be the exception noting that few people opt to use them. I often do training paddles on my own when there is no one to join so it's good to know the risk level is reduced. They are lightweight and dont get in the way.
It's something that is going to become mandatory, so if you find the right one it really isn't a schlepp to use. Train in it and come race day you're set. I personally like the Mocke ones but there is the Quiver plus a number of similar ones on the market. Kokatat make a nice low volume one too. Most have a place to carry a bladder and have a front pocket for gels, cell and pencil flare.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4690 by Paddle2Fitness
Replied by Paddle2Fitness on topic Re:PFD's - Australia
Cameron, i would encourage all paddlers to wear a PFD in open water. Coming form a surf life saving background we all think we are bulletproof but safety must come first and all the Australian Ocean Series Races will require a PFD, leash and phone (from the last meeting i had with Australian Canoeing).
I agree with the Moche PDF. I have not seen a better PFD for paddlers and it still has all the pockets for water, food and phones.
My business sells all three safety items but i am sure you have a business near you. If not send me an email and i will help you out.

Latest Forum Topics