First day....

More
13 years 8 months ago #4968 by Dennis Smith
First day.... was created by Dennis Smith
Hi all,
I've been paddling sit on top kayaks for years, most recently a Malibu 4.4. Today my first surf ski arrived, a Spirit PRS. I decided to go plastic (ruggedness and cost)and was able to get one of their newer lighter versions (solid yellow). The PRS is about 18.6 feet by 19 inches and 50 pounds fully kitted out.

I paddle Clear Lake in northern California (a large fresh lake about 20 miles by ten miles at the largest parts), and have never seen another surf ski up here. I'm 42 years old and in pretty good shape (Paddling for exercise, competing against myself)...but as you can imagine, I took a few swims today.
The water was warm and I found it quite easy to remount.

After an hour I came back in and made some refinements in my foot brace and rudder pedals, and felt more solid re-entering the water. Still swam a couple times in the second hour but generally a much better time paddling, and was able to lay down a little more power with proper torso rotation.
I basically did triangular patterns today with about one mile legs, feeling out the boat in different wind directions and chop.

I've spent a lot of time on the water, but have never had as much fun as I had today. I've never paddled with a rudder (VERY cool), and I've never gone so fast. The ski just glides through the water with nary a sound or wake.
It was interesting feeling the boat roll into a turn when rudder was applied. I didn't expect that.

As I said, I know no other surf skiers around this lake. I intend to visit the US Surf Ski Championships at Berkeley Marina on the 20th/21st, hoping to learn from some clinics and ride other boats in demos (and watch the races).

I've got a good, bright orange PFD for paddling, and a good Jantex wing paddle. Not sure where I'll keep drinks or food on this boat. Maybe in the pocket sof my PFD...or a camel back in the boat or PFD?

Any advice for this very excited beginner would be much appreciated. I've learned much here and expect to continue doing so in the future. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have or stories from your first day in the ski (however long ago that may have been).

Cheers, paddle hard,
Dennis (Spirit PRS)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #4969 by [email protected]
Hey Dennis, congratulations on finding the best sport in the paddling world! Nothing like a surfski!

What helped me when I started (apart from being on a stable spec ski) was a buddy who insisted on paddling no matter what the weather and my balance improved quickly... it had to!

Some guys carry drinks in their PFD (I do); others prefer to place the bladder in front of the footplate (or under bungies on the rear deck) and lead the pipe back to the seat. Experiment and see what works for you.

It's a great idea to go to the demo days at the US Champs - you'll meet a bunch of really friendly people there.

My first paddle? My buddy had been bugging me to try out this great new sport and i'd resisted it, looked expensive and difficult... Eventually he got me to take out his old Chalupski. I got beyond the surf, turned around and was coming back in when a massive wave hit me from behind, I pitchpoled and the ski somersaulted and smacked down and broke the rudder... so much for the start of my paddling career!

Good luck, happy paddling!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 8 months ago #4972 by Dennis Smith
Replied by Dennis Smith on topic Re:First day....
Second day...
Hi all,
Much better today.
After my wife took a few "hero" shots of the new boat, I put on my pfd and took off.
Fairly calm, sometimes 10 knots with 2 foot chop...I did a 9 mile loop (two crosswind legs out and back, and a large triangle around an island). This course gives me wind and chop from all directions.
I went pretty hard but still only averaged 5 mph...but never did get wet today or have remounting practice :-). That was a surprise!
On the lee side of the island I had a short stretch that was glassy, flat calm. Wow, that was really nice!

Cheers, paddle hard,
Dennis (Spirit PRS)
Attachments:

More
13 years 8 months ago #4973 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:First day....
Welcome to the forum and great pic of boat all shiney and new :woohoo:

Great choice for a first up ski,many of my friends have a PRS in thier collection, despite going on to the super duper fast boats they keep the PRS for the reasons you mention. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the lightweight version, most of the lightweights in Western Australia went straight to Avon Descent paddlers so have yet to see any locally.

Pity the Avon water level was so low this year, was looking forward to seeing how the battle of the plastic skis went (Finn Molokai Mk II versus PRS lightweight)

I am trying to sell my Finn Affinity to buy a PRS, great boat to have for rivers with submeregd logs, weirs etc.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 8 months ago #4975 by beejay65
Replied by beejay65 on topic Re:First day....
I've got a PRS too Dennis and they are a great boat, especially as AR stated for river events like the Avon Descent here in Perth. I am looking at upgrading at the moment but will definately keep the PRS purely for it's versatility.

Good luck and remember the best way to get better at it is to get your backside in the boat as often as possible and paddle paddle padddle.

Oh, and my first day in the boat I should have worn a snorkle!

More
13 years 8 months ago #5015 by Dennis Smith
Hi all,
Just an quick update...I've been paddling almost every day and haven't gotten dunked since that first day, though I've been paddling hard I've been going out in fairly calm conditions. The ski does feel a bit better every time.

An interesting observation...I have two nice paddles. A full sized Werner Ikelos with ergonomic bends in the shaft and a mid sized Jantex wing paddle. I paddled with both in my kayaks but their true nature didn't come through until in the ski.

The Jantex makes for a very smooth outing...form seems to be right on and I feel like I could go on all day. Sometimes I think the mid sized blades are too small. I think I could go a lot faster with this one when my form improves.

The Werner is a beast and the boat feels more twitchy/less stable but I go about ~0.3 mph faster. It's also much lighter with a better break down system; no tools required (both are two part paddles). I think I could go a lot faster with this one when I get larger muscles.

The Jantex shaft is too thin, but I put some foam around the right side grip area to help. The Werner shaft is thicker and more comfortable and the bends line up with my grip perfectly, making things more comfortable for my wrists (my left had a nasty accident many years ago and so this is a nice feature for me).
Anyway...long story short...I sometimes think I'll need to get a paddle in the middle. One with a mid-large blade. Any thought would be appreciated.

I'll be spectating, riding demos, and taking the Mocke clinic at the US Surf Ski Championships the next couple days....staying at the Doubletree. I'll be picking people's brains and having a great time, I'm sure. Hope to see some of you there. I won't be able to bring my PRS as my Jeep's in the shop (I've been running the PRS down to the lake and back on the roof of the rental pick up truck...not good for a long trip!).

Cheers, paddle hard,
Dennis (Spirit PRS)

More
13 years 8 months ago #5040 by Dennis Smith
Hi all,
I promise this is my last "rookie update" ;)
Had a great time at the races last weekend. I learned a lot and really enjoyed meeting all the racers, enthusiasts, Dawin Mocke and all the great guys representing their products.
I especially liked the Think Evo. Amazing how it fit like a glove all through the hips, thighs, calves, butt...like a glove. Very nice workmanship too...and minutely instantly adjustable brace/pedals. If I ever decide to go glass that will be the boat for sure.
Had a great paddle today...did 5.6 miles (9k) in one hour. That's a speed record for me, and the best part is it was with my mid-wing Jantex and I was concentrating on good form and entire body the whole time.
Here's a pic of my rig with the ski. Mean looking, huh B)

Cheers, paddle hard,
Dennis (Spirit PRS)

More
13 years 8 months ago #5042 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:First day....
Brag away, great to hear some enthuisiasm from a new paddler :woohoo: 9km/hr is a good effort in a plastic, you'd be flying in a glass or lighter boat, let's see how competitive you decide you want to be ;)

Great looking rig, all thats missing is a mountain bike on the other side of the roof rack :P

Always looking for the next boat :)