paddle shaft length

More
13 years 7 months ago #5269 by mongrel
paddle shaft length was created by mongrel
What is the correct paddle shaft length ? .how much differencs will 10mm or 25mm (1 inch) make to stroke rate?
and what are the considerations to take into account for flat or choppy water,short course Surflifesaving races,and say 25klm ocean ski race? Can one paddle cover all conditions?.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5273 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:paddle shaft length
There's only one real answer to this.
Have an adjustable paddle and test for yourself.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 7 months ago #5283 by mongrel
Replied by mongrel on topic Re:paddle shaft length
So if a shorter shaft length allows you to rate higher and get out in front of the pack in a short course race (SLSC)style,but then you run out of beer tickets on the way back to the beach and the pack catches up and over takes.
What is the current coaching thoughts on this ,
Do you train a paddler to continue rating high? or do you lengthen their shaft length and they rate slower and do more gym sessions etc etc?

Are there any general coaching rules,or pearls of wisdom to all this?

More
13 years 7 months ago #5284 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:paddle shaft length
The paddle length probably doesn't really matter all that much with regard to speed - and most fall in the range of about 207 to 214 for standard height men. I have used all lengths in there (at 5'10"), and my speed doesn't really change, only comfort and rating/stroke rate changes. The difference of only a cm or two or three outside of your grip just isn't that much, really, we're only talking 1-3% difference in total length. I think it's sorta like bike seat height in that there is a comfortable narrow range, but one could still pedal just as fast over a larger range of saddle heights.

As a general rule, longer torso'd paddlers with longer arms who sit on seat pads prefer longer paddles, and shorter torso paddlers or those with shorter arms who sit on low seat skis prefer a shorter length. However, there are outliers and I understand that Lewis Loughlin at about 6'2" (I'm sure I misspelled his name) used a 207 for his first Molokai win.

I also suspect that paddlers who prefer a wider grip might end up with a longer paddle, and vice versa.

I like 208-209 with several different brands because it seems to fit my natural rating/stroke rate and power/strength profile though blade size also matters here.

Start with the Epic paddle wizard on their website, and adjust from there based on your perceived torso, arm length.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5286 by Rightarmbad
For flat water, I have pretty much proven to myself that 222cm is just simply the best for me, for continuous paddling.
Its just happened to be the number that the formula spit out in the other paddle length thread.
I had already sorted out 222cm by testing before I used that formula.
Maybe you should give it a try and see.

Probably doesn't mean much, but with that length I can stand the paddle vertically and put both my hands over the top of the paddle bending my hands to a right angle at my wrist.

I can sprint fastest at 213-215cm.
I find that when I sprint that I lean forward a bit, that may be difference.

That's quite a large range. Good luck.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 7 months ago #5287 by Rightarmbad

More
13 years 7 months ago #5290 by mongrel
thanks for the link to the previous thread,I've just had a quick look and will have to print it out to study it properly.
thanks very much

More
13 years 7 months ago #5294 by Martin
Replied by Martin on topic Re:paddle shaft length
The way I see it , is that there is a degree of variability in this. For instance take two similar looking paddlers, both on the same boats. One of 72kg the other at 102kg. It's likely that the heavy guy will be closer to the water, the lighter guy further up. Paddle lengths would vary for the two guys. I'm 1.78m and have over time dropped lengths from 215cm to 212-213. I'm also around 72-74kg. In short there are many variables and you only have to look at paddlers today. Jeremy Cotter, with a wingspan like an albatross, has a fast cadence, Whirrs like a windmill, and has what appears to be a short paddle shaft length.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5295 by Rightarmbad
So is there a trend in surf ski to a shorter paddle versus a couple of years ago?
Is this for a faster spin or is it to do with handling tippy skis?
I seem to remember a quote from Oscar that,'paddles will get shorter'.

I personally found that with a shorter paddle, my natural grip width actually increased!
It is still increasing as I paddle more.

I think that with differing musculature, there is a differing height from the water that is optimum for the pulling hand.

From watching video footage, I have seen hand heights from in the water to a foot above.

Top hand heights vary from somewhere in front of your face to below nipple level during the most propulsive part of the stroke.

Paddle power curves vary from tooth shaped curves to sharp single impulses.

I don't think that there is any one perfect paddle technique.
It will vary enormously between individuals, and with it paddle size and length.
Not to mention any effect of differing boats.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5297 by mongrel
Wow!! as i thought ,there are plenty of opinions and ideas on the subject.
I am 45yrs old, my son is 18yrs old,we are both 178cm tall,he weighs 75kg and i am 79kg.
We both use medium blade paddles his is 210cm mine is 212cm.

Useing the formula from the previous thread a paddle of around 208cm is recomended.

I am being strongly and incessantly encouraged by one of the older paddlers in the surf club to get a longer paddle length for my son (215cm).He(The old hand) believes this will slow his rating down and allow him to the final third of surflifesaving races stronger.

I paddle EOS660.
So would we both benefit if we swapped paddles?, or should he get a longer paddle?
or is it all about rateing? should he learn to paddle long and strong or stay with short a quick
What are everyones thoughts.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by mongrel.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5298 by Rightarmbad
Again, the only answer to this is to try it.
It can do no harm to try it, if it doesn't work then you have only gained knowledge from that point on.

Doing something that is different, is only
a mistake if it is wrong and you did it again.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5315 by Moll
Replied by Moll on topic Re:paddle shaft length
I started with a 216 and than split the paddle so it is adjustable. As a novice and being 6'1 I have found I feel more stable with the longer paddle and a slower more controlled powerful stroke. My thoughts were the higher cadence would be better but I was pleasantly surprised by the results. And the net effect of higher average speed is also always welcome.
But I have no doubt as my experience levels increase it may throw my scenario 180 degrees.

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

Latest Forum Topics