Race finishes

More
13 years 5 months ago #5592 by Rightarmbad
Race finishes was created by Rightarmbad
What has prompted this is some of the race photos showing boats being dragged and near boat collisions as competitors fight for finish position.

For those that have to pay for their own ski;

How would you like to see finishes performed?

1. Jump off the ski and run up the beach to finnish line carrying paddle, or leaving paddle, leaving boats to be collected by tenderer's and hopefully not have them crash into each other and maybe damage something?

2. Cross between buoys not too far from waters edge and then casually get your boat out of the finish area so as not to obstruct the next finishers?

3. Carry your paddle and your boat to finish line?

4. Finnish in the water and then jog up the beach in the order that you finished so as the sponsors can get to have a show while tenderer's grab your boat and maybe paddle and put them aside?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5597 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re: Race finishes
In a perfect world -
2 then 4!

More
13 years 5 months ago #5600 by cdo
Replied by cdo on topic Re:Race finishes
My vote to 2.

I actually have a medical condition that makes it imposible for me to run and the number of events which will not give any regards to my situation is amazing. Some just disqualify me for outside assistance, others insist that I just struggle up the beach (which is usually done carrying the ski because it doesn't hinder my already slow pace!). I am not so serious that it bothers me and will continue to compete so long as I am enjoying it....but obviously the number 2 finish is always my preferred option. :)

More
13 years 5 months ago #5601 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Race finishes
I too have an injury, in my case a foot.
So I don't want/can't run.

I would much rather just finish in the water.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #5604 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Race finishes
If ever I have the oxford scholars to stump up for a carbon ski I sure a hell wont be leaving them to wash about in the surf like this.

Then again, I doubt these guys had to pay for thier ski's.

Option 2 for me ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by AR_convert.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5607 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Race finishes
Option 2 for me too!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 5 months ago #5612 by Zebra
Replied by Zebra on topic Re:Race finishes
Option 2 for me to, with the caveat that there needs to be the odd race (Knysna-Sedgefield, etc) whereby finishing AFTER navigating surf (hectic surf) is part of the race vibe!

More
13 years 5 months ago #5618 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re:Race finishes
spec ski - clubby race option, 2 flags/poles spaced well apart in knee deep water ( generally ) is your finish.

Race accross the line- get up and scoop up your ski to be up and out of the way.

works well and very little damage.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5625 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:Race finishes
I agree with Pete on beach finishes. I think Zebra missed the point a little. As I see it, option 2 still incorporates negotiating whatever surf there is to come in then finish in the shallow water.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5626 by Zebra
Replied by Zebra on topic Re:Race finishes
Pete, Gary: yes, I see what you mean, and agree with your sentiments.

On a similar note (surf), some of my paddling buddies are not keen on the shallow surf or even beach turns, mainly due to damage to craft, whereas I find them good value, and it recognizes the origin of the sport, so the usual Fish Hoek paddle (with in-surf turns) is one of my favourites!
Cheers

Latest Forum Topics