Full carbon and impact resistance

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #5915 by Rightarmbad
What is the future of composites in surf ski?
I found this an interesting read.
Pretty much all of it is transferable from the aerospace industry directly to our speed machines.

Interesting paper for those of you with an engineering bent

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Rightarmbad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5916 by [email protected]
Great article - thanks for posting...

(I must say, it gives me a real buzz that we have so many knowledgeable and talented people on this forum!)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #5917 by Rightarmbad
Available here if anybody wants a play with it.....

here as well

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6005 by Rightarmbad
Continuing on with the new composites theme.

Basalt fibre may also have a role to play in our future.
Seems to be slightly better overall characteristics than glass, but at a lower cost.
May play a part in future mid range and cheaper models?

Comparison of basalt to glass

Seems that it is readily available now, being offered in hybrids with various other fibres or by itself.
Can use all the same methods as glass etc.

A little bit denser, but also stronger and more resilient, so a thinner wall would would probably offer the same weight/ strength/ impact resistance at a lower cost?

So looking forward to my new ski made out of 'rock'.

Who would have thought that common basalt rock could be a lightweight composite, strange world we live in.....

More
13 years 3 months ago #6006 by Sandy
A boat that "floats" like a rock ???????? :woohoo:

More
13 years 3 months ago #6007 by Hiro
This is no joke... This boat is made of stone (altough it is granit, not basalt) jymenez.free.fr/
Attachments:

More
13 years 3 months ago #6008 by Sandy
the UC (University of California) system has an informal competition among the engineering programs for designing , building and then racing in a regatta....concrete canoes !

More
13 years 3 months ago #6010 by Rightarmbad
Unless there is a lot of boat under the water that cannot be seen, there is no way that is granite.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6013 by Hiro
please check his website... the building of the boat is well documented, literally hundreds of pictures from a block of stone, to a boat...

More
13 years 3 months ago #6016 by Rightarmbad
There is less than a quarter of the boat above the water line like I suspected.
Wish I could read whatever language, but the 80 odd pages of photos was sort of self evident as to what went on.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6017 by superted
Rightarmbad wrote:

There is less than a quarter of the boat above the water line like I suspected.
Wish I could read whatever language, but the 80 odd pages of photos was sort of self evident as to what went on.

Well it doesnt look like a dwarf playing the harp in Hiro's picture!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by superted.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6060 by Rightarmbad

Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Rightarmbad.

Latest Forum Topics