seating position in a ski

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #6116 by Dave Francis
Hi,
I’m new to surfski paddling being more used to flatwater paddling. I got a ‘too good to refuse’ deal on a Knysna Viper last year so I jumped at the chance, but I’ve never had a chance to sit in another ski. When I paddle in it, I find that the back of my calves sit tight against the well of the boat where it slopes down from the seat...therefore I’m not really able to use my legs in the same way as I do in the K1 (ie. my knees cannot move up and down, and my rotation mainly comes from twisting above the waist). Is this normal for a surfski, or is it that my ski is more suitable for longer legged paddlers? I’m only about 1.75m and short legged at that! Also, I’m interested to hear if anyone else paddles the knysna Viper, and what’s the general opinion on it as a racing boat.
Dave
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Dave Francis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6117 by Rightarmbad
Common problem for shorties.

The one thing that is in favour of a hump, is that you don't have to stomp on the feet like a K1 because the hump quite effectively transmits the paddle power to the boat.
So if you run your legs shorter you can still get rotation and let the hump do a major part in the force transmission.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics