Alternative to Garmin

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #6647 by garykroukamp
This was new to me. www.mobii.com/ A GPS training aid that is not a Garmin. The manufacturer's did a demo tonight at our time trial. Looks interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #6649 by cdo
Replied by cdo on topic Re:Alternative to Garmin
Looks interesting...is the product sold in Australia and if so what price?

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #6650 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Alternative to Garmin
Dont know if there is a Australian Distributor but if you convert the currency it works out at about $450. That seems like great value for all this thing can do.

I especially like the waterproof earphones that can tell you distance etc while you swim!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 4 weeks ago - 13 years 4 weeks ago #6655 by garykroukamp
They had a go-pro camera on Lance King's boat, and merged all his info from the unit onto the video, so while playing it back, they had all his info, heart rate, speed, cadence etc running on the video. Take note, Rob.

9hrs battery life too, apparently, and the units can talk to each other and to a central monitor, so a coach can monitor multiple athlete's info simultaneously in real time.

CDO, I'm not sure if they are selling outside of SA, but there is a contact email address and phone no on their website.
Last edit: 13 years 4 weeks ago by garykroukamp.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #6656 by AR_convert
9 hour battery life :woohoo: , that'll get the multisport and endurance set excited, I can only get about 6 hours out of my Garmin forerunner.

I have emailed them about Aust Distributor?

In this age it's unusual to see a tech product such as this being developed and sold in one country only, unless they are using thier home market to make sure everything is as it should be before they go global with it.

This is exactly the sort of thing members of surfski info should be doing a review on, cant leave everything to Rob ;)

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #6657 by Mako
Replied by Mako on topic Re:Alternative to Garmin
Unlike Garmin kit, stroke rate can be monitored too and it was mentioned that with lowered resolution settings the unit can record for close to 30 hours.

More
13 years 4 weeks ago #6661 by David Grainger
Pricey! All the stuff needed for paddling is over $650!
Motion Package 3195R = $469
HR Strap 795R = $117
Waterproof EarBuds 349R = $ 51
Watersports Pouch 149R = $ 22
Total 4488R = $659
Are these numbers correct?

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6664 by AR_convert
Still not really expensive when you look at what else is out there and what this unit can do.

Thanks David for pointing out that that "motion package" isnt all that is need for water sports....you would think the HRM strap would be included as standard :huh:

So as you stated on top of the package below you need the HRM strap, waterproof pouch and earbuds.

I would love for someone to do a real world review of this for surfski.info.

Birthday is coming up and this is a contender for the next toy! :) No reply to the email I sent them yet :(

Motion M01-1 Package - R3195

The Motion Package allows you to record a range of training information including position, speed, distance, elevation, pace, stride, tilt and g-force.
This information can be analysed in the Motion Experience Centre software to gain better insights into your training performance.

- Motion M01-1
- Motion Experience Centre
- Audio and charging accessory
- Silicone pouch
- Armband
- Belt-clip
- 3x Shirt clips
- High quality earphones
- USB cable
- AC charger
- Quick start guide
- User manual on disc

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6666 by garykroukamp
They said they made the HR strap an additional item because the unit can work with most existing heart rate straps that customers might already have. makes it more affordable if the HR strap is not included and you don't need it.

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6668 by AR_convert
Here is the reply I got by email about distribution to Australia!

Hi Brett

Thanks for your email, I apologise for the late reply.

We currently do not have any distributors in Australia. We have only just launched our product here in South Africa and are still putting together a distribution plan in place for export to countries like Australia.

We have had a lot of feedback in the last few days from a demonstration we did with the Motion M01-1 at a local paddling club during their K1 Time Trial. It seems that there is a lot of interest in paddling community regarding our product and its software.

We are busy putting together a package specifically for paddling. This will have a mounting bracket that clips either onto your canoe or arm depending on your personal preference. The product also includes “Action-Triggers” which allows you to program the device. This means you can have 32 Action Items per activity, with each Item having 8 triggers that can fire off 32 actions. For example, a trigger may be set that when I reach a set radius from a waypoint, the actions will display a different screen, navigate me to the next mark, give me a voice command on my heart rate and energy expenditure.

There is no need for waterproof pouches as our product is hermetically sealed without any o-rings that can eventually leak. Even the electrical contacts are marine grade stainless steel 316.

The ANT+ heart rate monitor is optional as a lot of people are already using ANT+ enabled wireless equipment. We are on the ANT+ Sport alliance, which means that all ANT+ equipment is compatible with our product. So they don’t need to purchase any new equipment. With the Motion M01-1 you can connect two heart rate monitors and record both sets of data to the device, which is great for two man boats and canoes.

We are working on introducing our product to various sports clubs at discounted rates. This will be announced on our website shortly which is in the process of being completely overhauled and will be available with loads of content and downloads over the course of this weekend.

Let me know if you want me to send you the user manual in the mean time, so that you can read up more on the unit. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Cheers.

Kind Regards,
Roderick Barrett

More
13 years 3 weeks ago #6669 by Rightarmbad
I like the idea of 2 HR monitors.
That would be brilliant to compare the paddlers output of a double.
ANT+ is the way to go too, everything is heading that way.
Only downside is that HR belts will not work in the water swimming, like a polar will.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
13 years 3 weeks ago #6679 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re:Alternative to Garmin
Great idea. Especially if the device is in front so you can check if your buddy in the back is doing his bit.

More
12 years 7 months ago #8012 by AR_convert
Will one of you Saffas give Roderick a kick up the butt and tell him to get an Aussie distributor!!! Heck I have a listed company and distribution experience and I'll take it on ;)

I am in the market for a new GPS to go with a new road bike and having a Garmin 305 thats on its way out and the Mobii is so exciting as an all round device!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #8043 by Mobii
Replied by Mobii on topic Re: Alternative to Garmin
Hi AR_Convert

I thought I would pop online here and introduce myself.

We are in the final stages of getting our certification cleared for Oz and most likely it will be a matter of a few weeks before we are cleared to export the Motion M01-1 to Oz.

We have done quite a lot of work in paddling sports and have actually created a more advanced firmware which is available for high-performance analysis.

These include:

- the Virtual Intersect system for precision timing with accuracies up to 2/100 to 4/100 of a second. Means you can create "lines" and define what you want to occur when you intersect them ie: New Sector, New Lap, have audio alert that tells you your stroke rate for the sector so you can listen to your progress, etc.

Stand-up Paddlers are using the voice feedback alerts to provide them with information on distance, time, speed, pace, Heart Rate, etc, without having to look at a watch. They just plug in their earphones and off they go.

- 125Hz sampling rate of the accelerometer. Used to analyse stroke data in high-resolution.

- Slow motion video replay with all your data overlaid onto the screen to analyse your race.

- Lap comparison: You can now break your training into laps and then run the two laps against each other to see where performance gains were. Graphs are overlaid on top of each other and you can run video analysis between the laps.

Example video here:

- Ability to connect 4 ANT+ Heart Rate monitors to the one Motion M01-1 and record everything simultaneously to the same activity.

If there is anything you would like to ask about the product, feel free to either pop a message here, or send me an email.

Cheers.

Roderick Barrett

More
12 years 6 months ago #8044 by AR_convert
Thanks for replying Rod, I will get myself a Bontrager Node 2 computer for the bike for now and save my pennies for the Mobii when it makes it's way here. If it priced similarly to the SA product you should sell a squillion of them. I will make sure the adventure racing community hears all about them.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8057 by Red
Replied by Red on topic Re: Alternative to Garmin
Roderick, that unit is outstanding. The data that can be analysed is truly amazing.

A few questions.

1. Are you going to release software compatible with Apple Mac?
2. What are the battery run times like?
3. Can you download course data / waypoints to the unit?

Although I know it will do more than I will ever need, I think I have just got to have one.

Thanks.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #8058 by Rightarmbad
Impressive!

How many parameters can it display in real time?
I'd be interested in the instructions if you want to email them.

A few others would be too, maybe a link?

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Rightarmbad.

More
12 years 6 months ago #8075 by Mobii
Replied by Mobii on topic Re: Alternative to Garmin
Hi Rightarmband

The information is available on our website www.mobii.com

You can also download a brochure which has a lot of detailed information on the unit here:

www.mobii.com/brochure/Mobii_Brochure.pdf

In terms of the display of variables in real-time, the way we manage the display is by creating "sets". Think of sets as containers, where you can add up to 32 custom designed data display screens to every "set".

Each individual screen layout can display a maximum of:

- 4 variables, plus
- 4 images (from the built-in image library), plus
- 2 text items (you can type in your own custom text).

You have a choice of over 57 standard variables available for use on each display.

You can change the size, position, colour, rotation, alignment of every item shown on the display.

You can then use Action-Triggers to program the device to display specific screens when events are triggered.

Example 1: when you reach a certain geo-graphic location, display a screen that displays a right arrow.

Example 2: when your heart rate reaches training zone 4 let the heart rate variable colour change from green to red.

You can then set additional Action-Trigger items to display your averages every nautical mile, or change to specific screen when you reach your max speed or stroke rate. Possibilities are literally endless.

To answer Red's questions, when power savings are fully implemented, you will get 30 hours battery life with the screen off. Obviously this changes when you are listening to music, voice alerts, recording 125Hz accelerometer readings.

Currently, you need to use a Windows emulator such as "Parallels" or "VM-Ware" to run the Motion Experience Centre on Mac. We have several customers using it without any problem on Mac.

In terms of course data, this is currently managed by setting co-ordinate Action-Trigger items. We are releasing "Planned-Configurations" which is an application to manage course data more effiently. This, as well as all the other updates, will be available for free to all Motion M01-1 users.

We have a lot of example video's on the device available from the Youtube section of our Facebook site. For those of you who are interested, you can view this at facebook.mobii.com

More
12 years 6 months ago #8079 by Rightarmbad
Man, if I was still actively coaching, I'd get half a dozen of them.

Latest Forum Topics