Watertight steering cables

• barch
  • Visitor
13 years 1 day ago #6830 by barch
Watertight steering cables was created by barch
Hi all,

My ski, which is new, is taking on some water. I fixed a number issues; but water still appears to be getting in somewhere, approx. 1 - 1.5 cup per hour. A lot slower than the starting point.

I did the 'blow into hull' test and suspect the steering cable entry points on the foot peddle (not rudder) side.

This is a general question: How should the tubes into which the steering cables run ensure water tightness? Do these tubes generally run the full length of the hull all the way to the rudder box thereby ensuring a continuous seal? Or is this 'tube' simply a grommet in the Fiberglas hull providing a tight (but not water/airtight) fit around the steering cables?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 day ago #6831 by mckengmsurfski
If the ski is new and is leaking it shouldn't be up to you to 'fix' problems or even figure out where its leaking, it should be warrantied and replaced I would think (or repaired, though if I had a new ski that was leaking right out of the box I'd insist on a replacement).
I'm not sure how the different manufacturers run the cables thru the ski, but regardless of how they're routed water shouldn't leak into the hull. I've owned 5 skis from 4 different manufacturers and the only one that ever had water in the hull was due to damage sustained to the hull itself at the hands of yours truly...

More
13 years 1 day ago #6833 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Watertight steering cables
Hypothetically the tubes are continuous. The rudder post tube is a likely canidate for problems (dealt with this on two think skis myself). What kinda ski is it ? What construction ?

More
13 years 1 day ago - 13 years 1 day ago #6836 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re:Watertight steering cables
Firstly, I agree with mckengmsurfski's comments about getting the manufacturer to rectify the problem.

To answer your question, most (all?)skis have 2 continuous plastic tubes running all the way through from the pedals to the rudder, and you need to have these if you ever want to replace a broken rudder cable.

In any event, I would be very surprised if the front cable entry point is the source of your problem, as it is above the waterline and would only leak in extreme conditions.

In my experience there are 2 main sources of leaks on skis, either the rudder post tube as mentioned by Sandy, or at the bailers, usually when the join between the deck and hull mouldings isn't done properly during manufacture. I have seen a number of new skis leak in this area. There are a few ways to fix it, but on a new ski I wouldn't even try : I would send it straight back to the manufacturer.
Last edit: 13 years 1 day ago by Nige.

• barch
  • Visitor
13 years 9 hours ago - 13 years 9 hours ago #6845 by barch
Replied by barch on topic Re:Watertight steering cables
Thanks for the responses guys.

The background is that I got a good deal on a new ski due to the fact that it had some limited damage to the hull which I got fixed by distributor prior to delivery. Hence I feel obliged to give them chance to rectify the situation, without hanging them out to dry (pardon the pun)

I was disappointed with the very leaky bailers (drain tubes) as this was unexpected. Needed help to carry ski out the water after first 30min paddle due to water in hull! It's a long drive to supplier so fixed these myself with epoxy under direction from manufacturer. Also wanted to know myself that it was done thoroughly.

Suspected the rudder post after reading very useful Huki article ( [url= ]link[/url]) but this doesn't seem to be the problem. Did the 'blow into vent hole' test and only leaky point seems to be these steering cable entry points. The conditions where I paddled for last two test runs have been rough and choppy conditions so possible that water got in here.

Thanks for support guys.
Last edit: 13 years 9 hours ago by barch.

Latest Forum Topics