Leg Power Question

More
12 years 9 months ago #7387 by islandgm
Leg Power Question was created by islandgm
Hi All

I need some help please. I am back on a Ski again after 16 years since I left Durban. Now living in Saint Lucia, West Indies. Great spot to paddle with a permanent downwind straight past my house for about 10km's. A bugger getting back though!!

Obviously being back on the boat after so long means I am re-learning technique, and a lot has changed in 16 years, including the fact that the guys I used to paddle with are now winning international events...so naturally I'm feeling a bit left out!

Nonetheless, I'm paddling an Epic V10 Performance. Balance issues sorted quickly and I'm getting some good paddle speed going. Problem is, I can't seem to get any leg power going and I have no movement below the waist at all, although I am getting good body rotation, particularly when paddling back upwind.

My question is...are my knees too close to my body, or have I set up the pedals incorrectly, because I just can't get any heel down movement.

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7388 by Robmobius
Replied by Robmobius on topic Re: Leg Power Question
I am no expert but a tip that helped me tremendously was to set my peddle angle so that it is an extension of the foot plate, ie same angle as the foot plate. If the peddles are too vertical it encourages your heels to lift off the plate and that makes leg drive tough. If you have tight hamstrings (like me) you will find your heels will lift off the foot plate. I placed some firm rubber at the base of the plate so that when I am relaxed my heels are resting against the rubber. This really helped create a more powerful leg drive and a more comfortable position. You could shorten the seat position to create the same effect but then you end with your knees around your ears! Getting more flexible hamis would help too. Tough to learn all this in a choppy sea so flat water technique practise is essential

More
12 years 9 months ago #7390 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re:Leg Power Question
I wonder how tall you are? I'm 5'8" and couldn't get any real good leg drive in my V10L cause the hump was so high and I developed pain in my hip flexors. Moved to a Stella SES and now get the leg drive I was unable to get in the V10L.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7391 by islandgm
Replied by islandgm on topic Re:Leg Power Question
Thanks. I'm 5.7 and am not really battling with the bump, but hadn't really thought about it. It's just than my feet seem to be permanently planted on the footplate, heel through toes. Maybe it has to do with how much rotation I'm, getting.

Or I might try the foam idea that Rob had?

Changing my ski is not an option. My V10 is the only ski on the island, and getting another one bought and shipped from Miami + customs and duties, means I'm stuck with what I have for now.

Latest Forum Topics