Greetings

• DvanB
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7467 by DvanB
Greetings was created by DvanB
Hi Y’all, this is my first post on this forum, so hello to everyone. I live mostly in the Seychelles, and paddled a surf ski for the first time about three months ago. Here’s my background:

Age-49
Weight-85kg, a bit of blubber
Ex surfer, current sailor, kiteboarder
Previous paddling experience-2 paddles on a fishing ski
Knowledge of surf skis prior to purchase-none

I don’t know anyone who paddles surf skis, so before committing to the sport I did quite a lot of internet research regarding ski types, manufacturers, etc. and ended up buying a Carbonology Sport Vault. It arrived in the Seychelles in May, and it was with some apprehension that we unpacked it. This was the first time that I had seen a ski close up, and I couldn’t believe how light they were (standard glass), or how long and narrow (read unstable) they looked. I was initially going to buy a beginner ski, but decided to rather go for an intermediate ski, thinking (with no basis or experience whatsoever) that I would adapt quite quickly. Looking at this needle like craft, I started to feel some doubts creeping in. This was reinforced by a passer-by, who paddles a Fenn XT (I think), who stopped to admire it. On finding that we had absolutely no paddling experience, his exact words were “Jeez, you guys are going to struggle.” He was correct, sort of, but in a good way.

The first thing I learnt to do was remount, not out of choice, but because I kept falling out. I’ve read that the high sides of the Vault make the remount quite difficult, but with nothing to compare it with I find it quite ok. I have a remount success rate of 9/10 now. My preferred method is to hold the paddle and the ski handle in one hand, grab the far side with the other, pull my body up, throw my leg over and slide down into the bucket. I contemplated the arse in first method, but that doesn’t even begin to work for me. Horses for courses, I suppose.

After about 30 sessions (at present I shuttle between Seychelles and Johannesburg, so I can’t paddle full time), I’m at a stage where I do about 1 ½ hour sessions at a time, in a mixture of sheltered water, cross chop with reflected swells, wind (up to 20 knots) and downwind in short, sharp, wind driven chop, and some days I don’t even fall out at all, and if I do it is only once or twice. Generally my balance starts to go when I get tired, which is to be expected. If I fall out, I see it as because of something I have done wrong and needs to be rectified, rather than the fault of the ski. I’m starting to really focus on my technique now, catching runs, etc. and I honestly do not regret that I opted for a surf ski like the Vault rather than a beginner ski to start with.

I have to say that when I decided to buy a ski it was because I thought it would be a fun and safe way of keeping fit. What took me by surprise was the sense of achievement, satisfaction, and pure enjoyment, physical and spiritual, that I have so far derived from something as arbitrary as paddling a surf ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7468 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re: Greetings
Awesome story. Sounds like the boat is working out for you just fine. Congrats!

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• DvanB
  • Visitor
12 years 8 months ago #7470 by DvanB
Replied by DvanB on topic Re: Greetings
Thanks, the next thing I need is a weed deflector and weedless rudder. The seaweed there is a curse. I'll try the weed deflector with the standard rudder first, and if it is still a problem I'll fit the weedless rudder. And a ski leash. I haven't been separated from the ski yet after falling out, but I would rather not let that happen.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7471 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re:Greetings
Welcome and a great first up post.

As a fellow Vault owner great to hear you've been able to grow into the ski. I too need to attach a weed guard (have one, just lazy in fitting it).

I know someone who has been contemplating which ski to buy as his first composite and wrestled with the same things you did, but rather than encouraging him to get the Vault I suggested an easier ski as he has easy access to them in Perth. I guess your story highlights that in areas where there are not ski distributors in abundance an intermediate ski can be an achievable first up choice.

In case you didn't know Carbonology has a Facebook page, would be good to see a pick or two of you with your ski!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #7472 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Re: Greetings
Yes. get a ski leash ASAP. It is the #1 piece of safety equipment on a ski. More important than a life preserver. One I forgot my leash. I removed the bungees from the back deck of my ski and made a leash out of that. I'm sure with materials on hand and a piece of bungee cord to decrease the shock, you can make your own leash. Incorporate a small carabeener of dog leash type attachment so you have a quick release for coming into the surf zone.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
12 years 8 months ago #7475 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Greetings
Keep having fun, that's what it's all about.
As for the lesh don't go paddle without one. When I forget mine, I tie my foot to the ski with one of the straps I uuuse to tie the ski to my car's roof racks. :huh:

Latest Forum Topics