HIP POSITION - WHAT IS CORRECT WAY FOR PADDLING?!?

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7478 by Zaatar
What is the generally accepted hip position for surfski paddling?

To have the best possible form, should one focus on contracting their abs in a subtle way so that the hips rotate back which naturally elongates stretches the back muscles? While holding this position do I then bend at the hip flexors to maintain a core/trunk that is perpendicular to the water?

Conversely, thanks to Chris's great post from last week or so I watched a video that said you should not arch your lower back and let your gut hang out while sitting in a desk chair which is the opposite of what I describe above. Over time this will cause back issues. Does the same apply to kayaking or is there a middle ground somewhere between the two positions described?

Thanks so much!
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Zaatar. Reason: forgot a word

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7479 by AR_convert
Your first paragraph is spot on.

I have had to break down my paddling position after issues with my lower back and ITB's.

Sorted the lower back within a week :woohoo: all by tilting the hips back (engaging stomach and gluteal muscles) as pointed out by my physio.

Having the top of my hips forward had shortened my ITB's so when I ran long distances they became aggravated due to being too tight.

In the past few paddles I have felt a lot more comfortable.

Where you can get lower back issues is when you "slouch" forward, you still need to sit tall in the seat then concentrate on that hip tilt, if you just sag thats when the spinal discs are going to get upset :(

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7480 by Zaatar
This is great. Thanks so much for your response. I posted my question because I too was having some back pain/sciatica. It definitely helps to know that I am on the right track.

I tried holding the correct technique that you described again for my evening paddle. It definitely takes some concentration to hold the correct posture as you suggest! I can tell that it will also take some time to loosen up my back muscles, etc. as they are a bit sore from the paddle and my desk chair at work today. At least I now know where to aim!
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Zaatar.

Latest Forum Topics