remounting a fenn elite

More
12 years 8 months ago #7628 by boss
remounting a fenn elite was created by boss
are there any video's around regarding remounting a fenn elite?? I am finding it a bit of a challenge remounting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #7629 by AR_convert

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by AR_convert.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7633 by Rightarmbad
Have a paddle leash.
Forget holding or finding paddle, don't worry about the wind separating you and it, or the length lock scratching the crap out of your boat.
One swift kick and up into the bucket sideways.

Throw your leg over and straddle the boat, you can now pretty much handle anything.
Grab leash and reel in your paddle, grab it, throw your legs in and go.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 8 months ago #7634 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re: remounting a fenn elite
The video as suggested by AR_convert (there's also an explanation on this website) gives the theory, but I assume you know that already, so I'll just add some practical advice.
In lighter wind conditions, point the ski into the wind and use the straddle method. Keep your body flat on the ski with your legs on either side until you're ready to sit up, then sit up quickly and drop your butt into the seat as fast as you can, as this is usually when you swim. Personally, I prefer to keep the paddle in my hands when I'm remounting as you can use it to brace when you sit up. The critical thing is to position yourself over the ski so the your butt isn't out of position when you sit up so that you can drop into the bucket quickly.
In strong wind conditions (when you find you can't keep the ski pointing into the wind) use the side entry system (there's a very good description of how to do it on this website.) Its amazing how easy this is in extreme wind conditions, as dragging your legs on the windward side of the ski and sitting "side saddle" is remarkably stable. You can sit like that comfortably while you catch your breath and recover, before moving off again.

More
12 years 7 months ago #7644 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Re: remounting a fenn elite
thanks all. I am very new to ocean ski's, came from outriggers(17 yrs). so this website is invaluable. the vidoe's and forum's are awesome. I hope to practice the remounting when it warms up or wear a wetty ,its still winter here. I got a bit overconfient and hadn't fallen out of the ski since I bought it 8 weeks ago, so it was a bit of a surprise trying to get back in and the effort required. Still learning the lingo buckets etc.

thanks

More
12 years 7 months ago #7653 by jbk
Replied by jbk on topic Re: remounting a fenn elite
Hi
I have both a Fenn Elite (flat water use)and an Epic V10sport (ocean use). The Elite is more difficult to remount, inherently more unstable, narrower and higher sides. Looking at the video it does not show a few things that you may want to try.
Do use your paddle, start with it across the cockpit (in your paddle position), this gives you stability as an "outrigger". Also learn the technique to lie along the boat before dropping your bottom in, again the gets you centre of gravity down and gives you time to stabilise yourself. Practice in the ocean with broken water as this is very different to flat water. There are many videos and sequences of still photos showing both techniques, just search
Hope this helps

More
12 years 7 months ago #7665 by [email protected]
Here's our very own article on remounting:
Essential Surf Ski Skills - The Remount

Personally I find it much easier to remount the Fenn Mako Elite sidesaddle-style.

I find a trick to assist in sliding my backside into the bottom of the bucket is to lie back onto the aft deck.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Latest Forum Topics