Double Set up, who's in front?

More
12 years 5 months ago #9005 by Moll
Whats is the best way to set up a double? One of the team are 20kg - 30kg heavier. I understand it is important that the most skilled should drive but what is skill levels are similar?

Is it optimum to have the ligter paddler in front or back? Does it make a difference?

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double
- Popes Big Foot Assegai K1
- Wilderness systems Tarpon 160

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #9007 by Rightarmbad
Good question, I'd go with the biggy in the front as I find I have to shift my weight forward to get on a run but only ever have to lean backwards on a large wave when the nose buries, usually in the surf zone.
Would very much depend on the basic balance of the boat.

Suck it and see would be the only correct answer.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #9009 by Moll
I can see the benefit of getting onto runs but in the flat it would change the attitude of the boat.

Would the best angle of attack be nose high or low?

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double

More
12 years 5 months ago #9018 by Red
From experience, weight is only part of the equation. Timing between the paddlers is essential. Some people have good timing and can "follow" well, others are better at setting the cadence. If the two paddlers are paddling out of time you may as well have one paddling backwards. We found the stronger paddler in the rear was able to put more power in the water without affecting the rhythm of the paddler in front. Great for catching little runners too as the rear paddler can increase power without increasing cadence.

More
12 years 5 months ago #9027 by Nige
Having done a lot of paddling in double skis, my experience that you have to consider all the following factors, and make the best compromise based on these:

1. Best/most experienced paddler in front. Very important on downwind runs, not too important on flatwater
2. Paddler with the slower cadence (stroke rate) in front. Always important, because if the back paddler is battling to keep up with the front paddler's stroke he won't be putting power down properly and will quickly get exhausted. The ski will be slow as well, as paddling a double is ALL about timing. Its easy for a back paddler to slow his stroke rate slightly to keep in time with a front paddler with a slow cadence.
3. Heavier paddler in front, makes getting on runs easier
4. Stronger paddler in front : paddling in the back apparently is slightly easier and uses a bit less energy than in the front
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moll

More
12 years 5 months ago #9033 by garykroukamp
Owner of the boat in front!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moll

More
12 years 5 months ago #9035 by Rightarmbad
Trophy!

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 5 months ago #9036 by cdo
The person in the front should be the one who gets blamed for anything bad that happens. Any good that occurs was a team effort!

More
12 years 5 months ago #9049 by Moll
Thanks for all the advice guys and the laughs. (many a true word said in jest)

At this stage it is a bit of a mission changing the set up of the boat due to our differing leg length but we will play around with it a bit. Fortunately we both find our current seats comfortable although it is nice every now and again to get into the back and just focus on paddle stroke and power and let someone else worry about where you are going. But only occasionally (I am not a control freak?!?!?!) ;-)

Current Quiver:
- Think Evo
- XT Double

Latest Forum Topics