Rudder pedal angle

More
12 years 4 months ago #9264 by [email protected]
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

A month or so back, I lent my Fenn Elite to a friend who adjusted the footplate so that it was 2 positions shorter. When I adjusted it back again I didn't have an Allen Key to hand and left the pedal adjustment as it was. This meant that the pedals were angled slightly towards me.

I finally readjusted them so that the pedals are now lined up straight with the footplate... and the boat instantly feels more comfortable.

I'd been stressing because I wasn't feeling as stable in the ski - especially in choppy water. Not to the extent that I was ever in danger of falling out (I've fallen out of the Elite maybe 4 times in the three years that I've been paddling it) but I've definitely noticed that I've been paddling slower in choppy water - as evidenced by the guys overtaking me... frustrating.

So - if your rudder pedals are angled back, try adjusting them - you may find that you were inadvertently working the rudder (and rocking the boat) as you pushed against the footplate.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: gstamer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9270 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Rudder pedal angle
I so agree.
I see way too many pedals pointed to the sky and usually that is how they got it and never tried anything else.

Just remember folks, adjustable things are there to use.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics