Garmin 310 XT course creation?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9525 by coldwater
Anyone having trouble creating a course with the Garmin connect software?
I've contacted Garmin a few times & no cures seem to help...
Am using Mac.
Any suggestions on creating a new course from other 310 XT users...?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9536 by [email protected]
Only done it on the unit itself...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 3 months ago #9543 by postal256
I don't know if this is what you mean, but sometimes I will use Google Earth and draw a path and click save. This saves it within Google Earth, so find it on the left panel, right click and 'Save as'. Save it as a .kmz. Go to www.gpsies.com and convert it to a Garmin course (.crs). You can then upload it to your Garmin Forerunner using the Garmin training software.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected], Rightarmbad, kwhatmough

More
12 years 3 months ago #9546 by [email protected]
That is definitely the tip of the week!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 3 months ago #9553 by coldwater
that's awesome postal - thanks!
which garmin software are you using?
garmin connect or fitness center...?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9557 by postal256
I just use training center (came with my 305, but I think it works with the 310xt and can be download from Garmin as far as I know). When I used to review my workouts more, I would use Sporttracks which would allow me to export my workout to Google Earth, where it would show a 'wall' representing your workout, the height of which represented your speed at that point. Good to visualize slow spots on a route, etc.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9571 by Kocho
Same here - I've done this on the 305. I used a marine mapping software to plot my course given coordinates, then fine-tunned it to my liking. The software is Coastal Explorer and the demo version is perfect for kayaking (and free, no time limit). Can use NOAA free maps too (great coastal coverage in the US and many other places). Out of that software, I generated a KMZ file that can be looked/tweaked in Google Earth, then as suggested, used that converter to save in the Garmin format, then imported through Garmin Training Center.

I suppose I could have skipped the first step and go directly to Google Earth, but my mapping software allows me to estimate my speed and also gives me tides and marine charts with buoy, depth, and other relevant info for navigation by compass for instance (bearings etc.).

The whole process may seem comlpicated but is very quick, once you have done it once or twice and write down what you do so you don't forget it for the next time -;)

It worked well - the Navigation feature on the Garmin 305 (and I assume 310 is not much different) is rather weak, but still useful enough to tell you the direction to go to. That was enough to allow me to follow a straight line to a finish that I did not know exactly where it was (the last 2-3 miles I would have been going blind otherwise and possibly in a curve as many others did, not being able to see the finish).

Don't know if being on a Mac has anything to do with your problem though - I used Windows...
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Kocho.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kwhatmough

More
12 years 3 months ago #9595 by coldwater
Thanks guys - awesome tips!

Latest Forum Topics