Intro to down wind paddling

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9818 by Shady
After reading all about the joys of down wind paddling I'm trying to find some areas and conditions to test out my .........remounts.

I've been spending a bit of time paddling in Sydney harbour in between the heads chasing the wash from the manly ferries and playing in the swell coming in from the ocean. I can't say I catch the swell as its quite full but it does give a reasonable push. It gets a little interesting at times but I haven't fallen in yet. That probably says more about the boat than the paddler.

I've also spent a few days at Terrigal paddling off the boat ramp out into the swell and back to the beach. The more I read about these great conditions and fun in downwind paddling the more I can't wait to get stuck into it.

A couple of questions...

I paddle an Epic V8, how good are these for catching runners and down wind paddling? What conditions would suit the V8 being shorter and wider?

I find that when I miss a wave, the bucket fills up as the wave passes by and pretty much stops me from catching anything else until I can empty the bucket. Is there a way to avoid the bucket filling up?

Anyone recommend an area on the northern beaches to play/practice? Anyone care to tag along?

When I know the right areas and conditions, where should I look to find the right conditions? I've heard there are a couple of websites to check wind and swell.

Cheers

Epic V10 Sport Performance
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Shady.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9823 by SAWHITE
Shady,
It may be a bit far but when a good noreaster blows, if you go in at Norah Head (north of Terrigal) and run with the swell down to The Entrance (About 10 kms) its a good quick ride and your are pretty close to the beach the whole way down.
If you get really keen you can do a Norah Head to Terrigal run which is about 21kms. As the course is directly down wind in the noreaster its a good fun paddle.
Both runs offer the start in a safe protected beach and finish in a protected beach Terrigal (as you know) or The Entrance which can be a little tricky but its not a full beach landing.
Cheers

Shanan

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9825 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Re: Intro to down wind paddling
There's some great articles here on downwind paddling. Checkout these by Dale.

www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-ot...sky-**-video-**.html

www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-ot...downwind-update.html

I found when I flooded the cockpit it was when I was going all out to catch a wave which I should have let go. Based on the advice from Oscar via Dale in the articles above I've learned to let these waves go and haven't suffered this problem for some time. Once you let it go you're usually in a good position to catch the wave following.

I use windguru and seabreeze for wind and swell.

www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/nsw.asp
www.windguru.cz

Can't comment on your other questions as I haven't tried the V8 or paddled in Sydney.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by grasshopper. Reason: added links

More
12 years 3 months ago #9827 by [email protected]
In my opinion the v8 is a great ski to learn downwind paddling in... For the simple reason that you're forced to learn to ride the wave and not force it.

With an elite boat, you can pull over the wave in front with brute strength. You can't do that in a V8, you're forced to wait for the next run, which is the right way of doing it anyway.

As for filling the cockpit, you'll eventually learn to choose your waves more carefully and not try to go through the top of the crests, which is when the water comes in over the side.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9844 by rubberDuck
Yes, these short skis are great fun when doing downwinds with short wind generated chop. Not so much the big windswells or groundswells. The secret is to keep your speed constantly above 10km/h. You will find then it is easier to get onto the waves. Don't chase every runner. I found that doing this I was actually catching more runs to the extend that I was catching up to the runs in front without even paddling. Once I hit those runs with the nose it felt like rear ending a bus with these wide skis. The next skill, which I am working on now is to work the runs side to side to prevent the nose digging in. This is perhaps one of the finer skills of downwind paddling since you need to be able to read where the holes are going to form.

Currently I do most of my downwind training in onshore winds which means a stiff headbutt before turning home downwind. If only I had the guts to tackle the downwinds that runs slightly offshore following the coastline. Offshore winds still gives me the Heebie-jeebies.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by rubberDuck.

Latest Forum Topics