your message has been considered spam

More
3 years 9 months ago #36846 by tve
I just typed a long message with animations and stuff about wave group speed. Hit the submit button and got "your message has been considered spam". Back button doesn't bring the text back, just gone. Now there's a way to discourage posts! :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #36847 by mamaru
You have all my sympathy, I have encountered (and hated) similar problems on other sites,
too. Now I am writing (and saving) all longer posts in a text-program first,
and copy- paste that to its place to be. In case of any problem I simply go
back to the original. Wondered afterwards why it took me so many tries to figure that out.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by mamaru.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago #36853 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic your message has been considered spam
Its happened to me too. I also paste long replies into the editor from a word doc.

Rob, if you can save replies in progress that would be awesome, or at least keep the data when you hit back. some forums support this.

More
3 years 8 months ago #36857 by [email protected]
Bugger.  There's little more irritating than something like this, I'm so sorry.

I'll delve into the forum settings and see what I can do.  We use a very popular open source forum back-end called Kunena.  I'll go to the user forum on their site too and see if there's some way I can set it to save in-progress edits.

Sorry about that.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 8 months ago #36858 by [email protected]
Hmmm...  the only thing I could find was a limit on the number of links in a message, which I've now updated and shouldn't be a problem.

I hope it doesn't happen again. 

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• MCImes
  • Visitor
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #36860 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic your message has been considered spam
Rob, I know the issue but have been rejected twice.

Try to snip an image using windows snipping tool (or any tool that puts an image on the clipboard using Ctrl+C

Then paste it into the post  editor using CtrlV. the problem will be obvious. I had a 2 page explanation but lost that, so I give up.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by MCImes.

More
3 years 8 months ago #36865 by [email protected]

Rob, I know the issue but have been rejected twice.

Try to snip an image using windows snipping tool (or any tool that puts an image on the clipboard using Ctrl+C

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me that info - that's given me something to look for.  I'll feed back what I find. 

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

More
3 years 8 months ago #36867 by tve
I typed a reply to a post with two lines, no links, no images... and got "Your message has been considered spam"
Is there no setting so people that have posted more than N times, or for more than N days don't get this?

More
3 years 8 months ago #36873 by [email protected]

I typed a reply to a post with two lines, no links, no images... and got "Your message has been considered spam"
Is there no setting so people that have posted more than N times, or for more than N days don't get this?

Bad news and good news!
The challenge is:
- Spammers attack the forum almost every day, so we have to deploy anti-spam systems.
- Even the best anti-spam software doesn't cut it, and while it does catch the obvious stuff, the only way I've found that works 100% is to moderate the first two messages from any new member.  I had one guy (from Pakistan) who actually went to the trouble of constructing a message that had relevant content - he searched for some surfski brand names and inserted them into his message.  Sadly for him, he doesn't speak English very well, which was a telling sign, and then he added a link to some voucher site.  Silly bastard.
- If I switched off the anti-spam software, I'd be swamped with spam messages.

The anti-spam software - we use something called R Antispam - works pretty well, but as you can see, it sometimes makes false positives and zaps your messages...  I've tried to find ways to configure it, but it's an AI based system and does its own learning.

Here's the Good News:

So here's the thing.  The good news is that your posts don't disappear altogether, it seems.  They're stored on my side and I can mark them as "not spam".  So if you ever have this issue, just drop me a line and I'll fix it on my side. 

And over time, R Antispam will get better at not producing false-positives...

Rob

More
3 years 8 months ago #36876 by [email protected]
Just a follow up:

I was able to restore two messages from MCImes and Thorsten von Eiken...  The system deletes messages older than a month.

But I've learnt a bunch about the workings of the anti-spam system - so that's a positive.

So...  If it happens to you, just drop me a line and I can recover the message from the spam folder.  There's no other way to do it unfortunately .

Rob

More
3 years 8 months ago #36877 by [email protected]
@tve

Unfortunately I didn't find a message from you - and you said that you had "just typed it".  That worries me, it should have been in the spam message folder, unless it was a month old.

But in theory - if and when you see that message, a copy should be kept on the back end and I should be able to mark it as "not spam".

Rob

More
3 years 8 months ago #36880 by mamaru
I just remembered a funny thing (I have absolutely no idea, how I found out?!):
When I tried to post a text with 3 links, that was refused as "spam".
When I just posted a few letters, and then edited that, it was no problem to fill in the same 3 links?!
Software seems to behave quite human at times...

More
3 years 8 months ago #36884 by [email protected]
Case in point: we just had a "paddler" from the Ukraine comment on the latest post in such a way that it almost looked as though it was a genuine comment. 

Again, the bad English and the obviously spammy email address gave him away.  What is it with these bloody people?

I just don't get the business model - how can it be worth the guy's time to manually register, to read enough of the post to try to spoof a reply, just in order to be able to post spam containing links - to what?  Bizarre.

Rob

Latest Forum Topics