HELP! I'm deciding on Dbl Ski

More
10 years 3 months ago #19615 by wannagofast
There is a Stellar S2E. $3000. and a Huki Dbl at $3300.
I also see Epic and Fenn have dbls.
Last time I asked about Dbls, not much help. So, HELP. What are your thoughts about speed and stability, etc. Ive only seen guys racing in Fenns.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19616 by Madpaddler75
I have paddled the V10 double and it is a great boat. Very fast on the flat and great in downwind conditions.
I have also sat in the back of the Fenn XT double, Fenn Elite Double and the Carbonology double. All great boats.
In terms of stability I would say the XT most stable followed by the V10 Double, then the Elite with the Carbonology been the most unstable but by know means unpaddleable. The V10 double is the only boat I have paddled on the flat so hard to compare speed.
Hope this helps.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19618 by Michael Smedley
The Fenn Carbon Elite Double is as good as gets IMO. Stability sits somewhere between a SF and and Elite and its super light at 18kg. From the drivers seat you would think you are padding in an Elite, narrow at the the catch.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19619 by Rookie
Hi the big question to start with is:
1. The paddling ability of you and your partner / future partners. Go for a stable boat for both of you as it stops a LOT of arguements ;) :whistle:
2. what do you want to do with the dbl ski - flat water or down winds?

In my humble opinion there are a number of skis that fit different requirements. The XT is the best entry level ski - stable; the kind of ski anyone can jump in and have a great day. BUT with nearly 200kg in the boat it buried it nose very quickly in a downwind so not ideal for those conditions.
There is a Genisus CLK which is apparently also stable and easy to climb back in. I have been trying to demo one since sept last year with no luck!
There is the APEX 2 which is a VAST improvement on the first APEX. Bit more unstable than the XT but snug seating and a slightly higher nose for downwinds.
The FENN Elite dbl is more stable than the fenn elite single but i would recommend it for people who paddle 2 or 3 times a week together to get the most out of it.

Epics are way out of my price range so i have not paddled one - sorry

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
10 years 3 months ago #19620 by antonsa
The best racing double out there - in any conditions is the Carbonology Double. You and your partner need time in the ski to benefit from it. It is fast fairly stable (like Fenn elite) but not easy to get back into! The ski can handle heavy weight paddlers with ease.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19621 by Metro
Replied by Metro on topic HELP! I'm deciding on Dbl Ski
I have owned a Fenn XT D, Fenn Elite D and the Epic D. In my opinion the Epic is the go. Stability is between the Fenns but I believe it to be as fast as the Elite - certainly so going downwind. The Epic does everything well, but it was designed as a downwind boat with its big nose. Whereas the Fenns are now somewhat dated, the Epic is a new design with excellent ergonomics. Most will find both seats comfortable with a good paddling position. Both Fenns' captain's seats are made for giants, with killer humps, etc. The Epic's captain's seat eaily accommodates medium sized paddlers.

Not hostile to Fenn, I paddle Fenn singles and love them. But I think Epic has the advantage with their double.

Have not paddled the Carbonology double unfortunately. Good looking boat that seems very fast. Some say it is on the tippy side, although everything is relative in that regard.

If in the US, check out the Huki doubles, which I have paddled and think are great. In particular, if you and your crew are mid-sized the Huki S2-XM is awesome. Great that Huki makes a double specifically for light weights.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19625 by Kayaker Greg
Be aware that Stellar has their S2E and an S2EL for smaller paddlers or more sheltered waters, I've paddled neither although the local multisport club as an S2e.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19626 by steveb
I own a Stellar S2E. I find it has good stability, great upwind and downwind speed, and quality construction. I feel it is a good value for the money. To faster drain the aft cockpit, I added a second ventri. I find the rudder shaft is not as robust as other makes, as it often bends after light contact with the bottom. Easily straightened, but an annoyance.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #19641 by Goldcoastkiwi
I have a Stellar S2E in Excel lay-up, and previously had one in the Advantage lay-up...there is about a 4 kg difference from memory.
The Stellar has some great features, and IMO the build quality eclipses all other major production brands ( I've owned skis from most of them!) The Foot plate is the best in the business, rock solid 3 point fixing and easy adjustment. The current versions do have double venturi drains in each cockpit. The cockpit is very comfortable , no numbess even on long paddles...although as always every bodies butts are different!
I find the boat very quick and stable, even in the lighter lay-up, so even if you have a less experienced paddler in the back there should be no scary moments!With good paddlers on board the ski really flys , it is quite a buzz the speeds you can attain.
The Stellar is great in a confused sea, it just slices through, and seems impervious to side winds.
I would certainly recommend the Stellar, and double skis in general, they offer a different aspect to paddling that is very rewarding.

Skis past and present : New Epic V10 Ultra, Fenn Swordfish Carbon,
Stellar S2E Excel double, PRS 570 , V8 Club, V10 Sport Club,Stellar S2E Advantage double, Epic V10 Sport Performance, Think EVO II, Fenn Swordfish Vac Glass, Fenn LS, new model Stellar S2E double, Fenn Bluefin S Carbon Hybrid
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Goldcoastkiwi.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19642 by Paul600
I have an S2E ( the lower volume version) in the Advantage construction. On the plus side it's very well made with quality fittings, very stable and very comfortable. It was also, at least in the UK, very competitively priced.
On the downside, it's got a large cockpit volume which makes it slow to drain (even with twin bullet scuppers) and although I find the volume in the nose fine for 90% of conditions in the UK, I would be more cautious using it in classic SA conditions.
As for speed vs Fenns, Epics and Carbonologys, who knows, but I've never finished a race and thought that the boat, rather than the paddlers, was responsible for our finishing position.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19644 by Fuyang Guy
The Epic is the way to go.
The design is great, enough volume in the nose for two big paddlers in good runs. I've been told its an easy remount, but the stability is great, so have not had to test that yet (120km offshore)
One of the real Epic advantages has to be the bailers.
Did last months Cape Point Challenge in it. Whilst waiting for the start, everybody who had venture bailers was having their footwells fill up with icy Cape Town water, which often finds its way into your lap as you pull off. Also during the upwind section (25 km of 15-25 knots) I was watching some guys around us sitting in ice baths that took ages to drain. I had my bailer set at half open and it was more than enough.
And in the runs it is even better, only open it when you are surfing, close it as soon as you hear the gurgle.
Absolutely love it

More
10 years 3 months ago #19647 by Rookie
Hi, this is a great discussion.

Does the Steller have a elite ski and entry ski like Fenn or is there simply a high volume and low volume version of the same ski
? :unsure:

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin

More
10 years 3 months ago #19652 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic HELP! I'm deciding on Dbl Ski
The Carbonology double is awesome. Slick to paddle, surfs well and feels solid and well built. I've actually got one myself as we don't make a double. I've got a 23kg model, I believe they make them as light as 15kg.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19659 by Rolls
Replied by Rolls on topic HELP! I'm deciding on Dbl Ski
Have been on a 7 year paddling journey starting with a Spirit plastic surf ski progressing to a Moolaki then double ski. In purchasing a double ski was seeking a ski that looked good and performed well in the ocean. The Epic V10 double has not disappointed. The double ski has also provided the most fun and enjoyment we have experienced since commencing paddling.

Needed to consider the weight of the double ski being in my 60’s and the requirement to carry the ski some 60 metre’s to and from the car on each outing, choose an ultra-construction (as much weight as I could manage alone). The Epic V10 double is long at 7.6m and it took some time to adjust to transporting the ski on the car particularly in a breeze. Quickly recognised the need to have a tie down point at the front of the car to safely secure the double ski and prevent it flying roof rack and all off the vechile.

The transition to the Epic V10 double for myself paddling an Epic V10 Sport and partner paddling a Fenn Elite was surprisingly rapid. After 2 paddles in the river we felt comfortable enough to make a move to the ocean where we have since spent the majority of our time paddling.

The Epic V10 double is remarkably stable (with some qualifiers) we have fallen out of the ski only once in the last year and have no difficulty getting back in the craft when doing remounts. Is the double an intermediate or advanced/elite craft? Well with respect to stability I have no trouble in the back seat but feel decidedly uncomfortable paddling in the front of the double. My paddling partner on the other hand has no difficulty with stability in the front seat of the Epic V10 double.

The Epic V10 double performs superbly in the ocean. It is very fast, breathe takingly fast at times such that in conditions of mild/moderate swell we now have confidence to track down waves that appear ahead of us. Epic have always produced a very good rudder system and this along with the big ocean rudder has resulted in craft that also tracks exceptionally well in the ocean.

You do as I have discovered get wet in the back seat but the massive venturi in the rear drains the water very quickly as does the smaller venturi up front. The double ski I have has a stainless steel venturi (one of the older venturi’s) tend to leave it fully open in the ocean and closed in the river and at our paddling level not get involved with all the adjustments that are possible.

As for the Epic V10 doubles seating is deep and I find more comfortable than the seating of my V10 sport. A feature that is worth having is an anchor point on the floor of the ski for the attachment of a leg leash. This was not available in the model I purchased but I would be surprised if it is not included in more recent releases of the Epic V10 double.

Do not hesitate in getting a double ski you are likely to have a lot of fun. I also wish to advise that I have no association or connection with Epic kayaks.

Latest Forum Topics