× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Re: New to Surfski, please advise...

More
17 years 2 months ago #105 by Shawn Michael
Sincere thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #106 by v10socal
Hi Shawn,

I am the Epic Kayaks rep for Southern California and I would love to show you the V10 Sport Surf Ski.

Give me call and we can set up a demo.

Chris Barlow
v10socal.mp
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
858 273 0063

More
17 years 1 month ago #107 by rypaddles
also a newbie to skis here,...whats the differnece in a "spec" ski and a racing boat??

More
17 years 1 month ago #108 by [email protected]
The sport of Surf Lifesaving sets out specifications that limit the length, weight, buoyancy and a few other measurements of skis. Hence "spec" skis. They tend to be shorter, heavier and slower (and more stable).

Open long distance racing skis have no specified limitations and tend to be longer, lighter and faster.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Clive R
  • Visitor
17 years 1 month ago #109 by Clive R
Replied by Clive R on topic Re: New to Surfski, please advise...
Robin
somewhere eles on your website (can't find it now!) I have read about you paddling both of your skis - the stardard Mako 6 and the carbon version you bought recently. What I want to ask is this. Both versions have exactly the same hull profile and it's only the material that's different? Have you noticed (besides the obvious other performance differences) that the stability is different ie less stable on the carbon version?
My wife has a standard V10 (18kg made here at Kayak Centre). I have a V10 (14kg with a carbon hull stadard deck) made by Epic before the move. My boat is definitly less stable; especially in choppy confused sea conditions. Is this only down to the fact that it is lighter?

More
17 years 1 month ago #110 by [email protected]
Hi Clive
There is no discernible difference in stability between my 17.5kg glass mako6 and the 11.8kg carbon boat. The glass one does feel heavier in the water and (maybe it's just my imagination) is more difficult to accelerate onto runs.

As far as I'm aware the hulls are identical; the footwell has been slightly changed on the newer boats of which my glass ski is one.

My paddling buddy Dale Lippstreu has a V10 that became 17kg after an extensive repair and a V10L Ultra. He says the Ultra feels very different and is less stable than the V10. The V10L does have the cockpit moved forward by a couple of cm.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
17 years 1 month ago #111 by Martin
Robin

Interesting about your comments about no change in stability. I have the 11kg V10L ultra and find it very stable. My other boat is a glass 18.5kg millenium. At one stage just before the Mako6's emerged I was contemplating getting an ultra carbon Millenium. I went about this by borrowing a semi carbon Fenn ( 14kg) and seeing how different it was.

I was supprised how unstable it felt. The boat was very stiff and sat higher out of the water. As I weigh a relatively light 73kg, I put the instability down to less hull in the water. The boat was super quick and a pleasure in flat water but I battled in the rough stuff.

Cheers

More
17 years 1 month ago #112 by [email protected]

Robin

Interesting about your comments about no change in stability. I have the 11kg V10L ultra and find it very stable. My other boat is a glass 18.5kg millenium. At one stage just before the Mako6's emerged I was contemplating getting an ultra carbon Millenium. I went about this by borrowing a semi carbon Fenn ( 14kg) and seeing how different it was.

I was supprised how unstable it felt. The boat was very stiff and sat higher out of the water. As I weigh a relatively light 73kg, I put the instability down to less hull in the water. The boat was super quick and a pleasure in flat water but I battled in the rough stuff.

Coincidence: Dale also briefly had a carbon Millennium and also found it so unstable that he couldn't handle it in rough water.

Which makes it all the more remarkable that the carbon & glass mako6s have very similar stability.

Rob

Latest Forum Topics