× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

PCR Rudder

More
10 years 9 months ago #17747 by Mako
PCR Rudder was created by Mako
I've modified my Swordfish too now ( Well I had to as my Mako Millennium got smashed up riding Dungeons at 22 foot or so) and am very pleased with the result. I was a bit concerned that the added buoyancy in the rear of most current ski's wouldn't allow the rudder to work but this hasn't been the case. The PCR is a significant plus when it comes to maintaining an angle across the face of a wave. The need to 'hang back' on the top of a wave to keep the bow freed up for direction changes is easier with PCR too as one can place the ski further down the face and not balance in the critical top zone and risk the wave passing by. PCR lifts the bow. Less rudder angle is needed to maintain a course across waves and the result is more speed too in that direction.

PCR can be induced by leaning a ski in a a complimentary direction but it makes ski control awkward.

I've also cut out the foot well deck and my heels now rest on the hull proper, 35mm lower than before. Bullet scuppers were added and are lined up fore and aft of each other on the bottom centre line. Downside is that the deeper well fills up faster with more water when stopped and it takes time to drain but the bullets do drain well on the move.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17748 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic PCR Rudder
Pics? Waiting on a few rudders from Orka for my Swordfish.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17749 by Mako
Replied by Mako on topic PCR Rudder
Greg there are pictures in the original article www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-ot...e-caster-rudder.html

I've moved the shaft back on my current rudder to chanke the trail/balance. I'll post current pictures soon.

It's not just a rudder, it requires a new rudder tube set in at an angle.

Latest Forum Topics