× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Broached on wave, brace or bail out?

More
10 years 5 months ago #19202 by Jmuzz
When broached on a wave is the ski strong enough to hold sideways in a brace? Or is that too much pressure for a ski risking snapping so best to just fall off?

The specific sort of situation is 1m waves into a river mouth, V10 Performance.

I have asked someone before and told not to worry because I will fall off if sideways anyway, but I'm not falling off and can hold it in those small conditions, so need to know if this is dangerous to the ski.
:side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19204 by TaffyMick

Jmuzz wrote: When broached on a wave is the ski strong enough to hold sideways in a brace? Or is that too much pressure for a ski risking snapping so best to just fall off?

The specific sort of situation is 1m waves into a river mouth, V10 Performance.

I have asked someone before and told not to worry because I will fall off if sideways anyway, but I'm not falling off and can hold it in those small conditions, so need to know if this is dangerous to the ski.
:side:

Think you will be ok on a performance lay-up at that river mouth mate ;). Done the same thing for the first time in the same place on my performance V10S last week. Left leg over the side and into the wall when it broached and rode into the river sideways. Would not do that on my carbon Fenn though!

Probably something I will not like to repeat anytime soon though. :ohmy:

Incoming tide helped as it pushed me in.

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
10 years 5 months ago #19206 by Ric
I think you'll be good...

More
10 years 5 months ago #19207 by garykroukamp

Latest Forum Topics